• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified yet feel like a complete idiot

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guitargirl
  • Start date Start date
G

Guitargirl

Junior member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
3
I'm 22 and female from London, Uk. I don't really eat sugar but feel my lack of dental visits in the last five/six years due to my phobia and reasonably regular teenage recreational drug use could have contributed to the problems I have now.
For the past two years my front four teeth on the bottom have gone grey but only at the back and there is a ridge I can poke my finger into under them. I have also suffered from and self medicated gingivitis. A couple of times tiny slithers have come off one of the teeth after consuming crusty bread. That's bad enough but over the last couple of days I have noticed a couple of blisters there. Aswell as this, the gum in the paralell place at the front of the teeth is receding. Apart from this, all other teeth seem healthy.

Does this sound like an abscess? How can I get over this fear and sort it? I feel so idiotic knowing that it is this irrational fear that caused all these issues. I shouldn't have left it this long.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
 
Hello guitargirl:

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

What your describing sounds like a build up of plaque and tartar on your teeth. It forms a hard material that can break off easily. A good teeth cleaning can remove it. Teeth cleaning is routine and if there is a significant amount of tartar a numbing gel can be put on the gums to avoid discomfort.

There is an excellent section on teeth cleaning at:


In regard to an abscess. Are the teeth around the blister sensitive to heat, cold or pressure?

The best way to diagnose an abscess is with an xray.

Dental anxiety/phobia is very common and is treatable. Just a couple of quick questions.

What are your specific fears regarding the dentist?

Have you had any poor experiences with dental care in the past?

I will be happy to offer any help or support I can.

All the best to you :D
 
thank you so much for the lovely reply!

In regards to the abscess... The teeth aren't painful at all, it's more an ache in the gums really.
I think my fear stems from what terrible things the dentist might find like cancer etc (even though I have no valid reason to even consider this) and that I've left it so long that I've done irreperable damage (though my teeth don't look by any stretch horrific). Most of all I feel kind of funny about someone looking in my mouth. Silly I know.
 
Hello:

That is not silly. Dental treatment involves a loss of control because things are being done to you. This can cause anxiety. Also having someone looking in the mouth is an invasion of personal space and the mouth is a very vulnerable part of the body.

Dentists do not judge you on the state of your teeth. They are focused on improving your dental health. It sounds like your teeth are in good condition and probably need a good cleaning and looking at. I am sure it is not as bad as you think.

In regard to cancer, very very, very remote chance at your age. The "blisters" could be a gum infection possibly from a food particle or something like that caught in the gum tissue.

A good cleaning can sort this out. You might also be given a course of antibiotics if there is an infection.

I do not think you have done tremendous damage to your teeth. Dentistry has made incredible advances during the past few years, with things that were once impossible are now routine.

Your first appointment will be a consult to figure out what is going on and treatment options. If you are having a great deal of anxiety you can be prescribed an anti-anxiety medication to calm you down before the appointment. Dentistry does not need to be painful or traumatic.

Remember you are in control and have the power to choose. If you would like I can send you some anti-anxiety techniques I use with my patients. Just PM me.

Remember, fear gains strength by avoidance. You are going to be fine.

All the best to you. :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. You have been more help than you could possibly know.

Take care x
 
Back
Top