• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The never ending phobia cycle...I feel lied to about pain

A

anxiousm

Here I am, crying the night before yet another appointment. I've cried like a baby before every dental appointment in the past 2-3 years. My teeth seem to hate me. Despite as much care as I can give, I always have cavities. I have to get 3 fillings tomorrow...all in different quadrants of the mouth, all difficult to numb back teeth :(

If a genie appeared and would grant a wish, it would be to never have to set foot in a dental office again!!!! Yet the more I avoid, the more problems, and every time I go it's for a treatment that's inevitably painful. I wish this was a one and done deal. Cavities = fillings = fillings fall out/break/need to be replaced = root canal = crowns or extractions...it never ends :cry:

I feel really betrayed when I read all about how fillings should be pain-free, and then every single time I feel definite discomfort, not just 'pressure' or 'vibrating'. It makes me think people are lying to make you feel better. I have heard other people say this too...a very cold, sharp, irritating pain when drilling even when the tooth is numb.

The injections scare me enough, so the thought of three fillings is really freaking me out. Even now that I'm with a new and supposed 'pani free' dentist, I just don't trust or believe that.

Am I 100% not supposed to feel pain during a filling? Is there a level that's just unavoidable? It all scares me. Wait not long enough on numbing, pain. Wait too long, it wears off, pain. I just want to go to a cleaning for once and not be told I have to be stuck with needles and drills ?

100% not supposed to feel pain during a filling. You need to have a discussion with your dentist about this. Some folks are a bit resistant to local anaesthetic, which is why there are a load of different varieties and delivery techniques available. It should be a matter of finding what works best for you.

Secondly, have a read on here about best practice to avoid cavities, chances are that there will be something that you're doing wrong that's leading to all this decay.

Secondly, have a read on here about best practice to avoid cavities, chances are that there will be something that you're doing wrong that's leading to all this decay.

You can find the page that Gordon is referring to here:

Also, @Niall Neeson gave some great tips yesterday - his post is here:

Back