• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

This fear is really getting to me

T

toraflora

I had an incident around 6 weeks ago, and it seems like all the information I've been getting from my dentists have not been helping--would really like any advice or for any of you to share any similar experiences to help me out.

6 weeks ago, I bit hard into a cherry pit, and even though the pit is small, I don't know why or how but it affected to of my teeth (upper canine and the tooth behind it). I visited two dentists within the first week of the incident, and both said they couldn't see any cracks. The first one did an x-ray, bite test, knocked on my teeth with a metal tool, and picked at my teeth/surrounding gum with a dental explorer. The gum bled a little and the tooth was very sensitive to cold, air, and touch at that time. When I tried biting down on my finger, it hurt when I released the bite. But when I tried the same thing on the bite tool my dentist used, it didn't really hurt? The second dentist looked at the teeth with a microscope and saw nothing. Both dentists said it was a bruised ligament.

Fast forward 4 more weeks, I was getting worried since the teeth didn't seem to heal. There were still sensitive and occasionally had mild toothaches. I visited my family dentist (different one) to get it checked, did an x-ray, and he said he couldn't really tell. When I described the symptoms, he said it could be a bruised ligament. When he looked at the tooth, he said there could perhaps be a slight fracture, but he's not sure. He said there no way of telling, but also noted that there could be a fracture and would have to wait and see.

I fear that waiting it out will make it worse, if it really is a crack. But he said that he couldn't do anything right now, even if it was a crack??

Now, it's been 6 weeks since the incident and it seems like it still hasn't healed. I've been too scared to eat on the side of the affected teeth, and I'm really scared that it's a fracture that will need root canal or extraction. It's currently still sensitive, and this fear and uncertainty is really getting to me and making me anxious to the point where it's really affecting my mental state. I'm on vacation abroad right now, and I'm even losing interest in doing any other activity because of this severe fear. My biggest fear is that I'll need root canal or extraction and I want to avoid it at all costs, if there are any alternatives. I've already visited 3 dentists and have used up my insurance for the year, and I'm really lost and don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would really appreciate anything as this fear is eating me out.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am sorry, don’t have anything enlightening to say without examining you in person.

If you have symptoms of a cracked tooth which you certainly have mentioned some things that are consistent with that but your dentists are unsure at this time there is one more option which MAY help. Place a tight fitting cemented stainless steel band on the tooth. If your symptoms go away or at least greatly improve then that tooth is the cracked tooth.

If you have symptoms of a cracked tooth which you certainly have mentioned some things that are consistent with that but your dentists are unsure at this time there is one more option which MAY help. Place a tight fitting cemented stainless steel band on the tooth. If your symptoms go away or at least greatly improve then that tooth is the cracked tooth.

Where can I get the steel band, and is it a possible solution option? And if the tooth is cracked, is there anything I can do about? My dentist said that he was unsure and even if there was a crack, there wasn't anything he could do about it since it's not obvious enough for him to see...? Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks so much!

your dentist would have a band or access to one

I’m concerned that the dentist won’t be able to move forward without knowing where the crack was, and if there were any other options besides root canal or extraction.

cracked back tooth gets a crown.

Back