• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

THIS Much Pain??

P

pam640

Hi, thanks so much for your help in this issue. Monday, I started having pain in my upper right mouth area where the molars are. I have been taking Tylenol every six hours, but the pain with not go away. In fact, it is getting worse.
Tuesday, I went to the dentist, and all four wisdom teeth are impacted. He recommended getting the upper right one and the upper left one removed, because they are growing into my adjacent molars. The lower jaw, he said those are so imbedded into the bone and close to a dangerous nerve, those won't be removed. I am 49 with diabetes and hypertension, by the way.

When I left from the consultation, later that night, the pain spread also to my lower jaw. I have been taking the antibiotics the dentist gave me, but whenever I try not to take any Tylenol, I am in so much extreme pain that I have to lay down. Then, I break down and take the Tylenol.

Does an impacted wisdom tooth really cause that much pain? Or, is it possibly what a friend told me that she has, something called trigeminal neuralgia? The pain is getting worse each day, and I am getting scared.

Thanks so much again.
Pam

I am 49 years old with diabetes and hypertension. On medications for these. I have to have my upper wisdom teeth removed. I am in soooo much pain. Also, I am very scared because I am at such a late age with illnesses, and I am told that there are more complications to be concerned about during wisdom tooth removal with all of this going on.

Is there any one else here who is older with ailments who has had wisdom teeth removed? Please tell me how it went for you.

Thanks so much.
Pam

Not a dentist, so I can't speak for the medical questions.

I am sorry you are in so much pain!
Are you trying to avoid taking the tylenol for medical reasons? If you can take it, and it helps, why not take it?

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was a teen, but innthe past year, I have had an upper back molar and a lower molar that have had issues, and it made my entire jaw hurt. The upper one made my sinus hurt on that side and even under my eye, along with all the teeth on that side. The lower one made my jaw hurt from my canine tooth all the way to my ear. I can't take ibuprofen so I was taking tylenol around the clock until it was fixed.

One dentist I sae had mentioned trigeminal neuralgia when my nose and cheek were still hurting after a root canal on my front tooth. Another dentist then said it was not, because trigeminal neuralgia is triggered by something like a touch to the cheek, not constant pain. Turns out in my case that I still had infection that was right against my trigeminal nerve, and antibiotics helped.

I hope you can get some relief!

Not a dentist, so I can't speak for the medical questions.

I am sorry you are in so much pain!
Are you trying to avoid taking the tylenol for medical reasons? If you can take it, and it helps, why not take it?

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was a teen, but innthe past year, I have had an upper back molar and a lower molar that have had issues, and it made my entire jaw hurt. The upper one made my sinus hurt on that side and even under my eye, along with all the teeth on that side. The lower one made my jaw hurt from my canine tooth all the way to my ear. I can't take ibuprofen so I was taking tylenol around the clock until it was fixed.

One dentist I sae had mentioned trigeminal neuralgia when my nose and cheek were still hurting after a root canal on my front tooth. Another dentist then said it was not, because trigeminal neuralgia is triggered by something like a touch to the cheek, not constant pain. Turns out in my case that I still had infection that was right against my trigeminal nerve, and antibiotics helped.

I hope you can get some relief!

Hey, Mountain Mama! Thanks so much for replying. Well, it looks like now either the Tylenol is losing it's grip, or the pain is getting worse, because the Tylenol just doesn't get rid of the pain as much now. So I have switched to 600mg of Advil every six hours. That works better and knocks out 85 percent of the pain, but the pain is so persistent that I find I am taking the Advil a little before the time of the next dose because the pain kicks back in strong. I am told I should not take it because it affects the hypertension and other things, but with this pain that makes me almost incapacitated, I dont have much of a choice right now.

I learned that there are two kinds of trigeminal neuralgia. One is triggered, the other is constant pain. I sure hope this one is not my case. I hope once the wisdom tooth is out, all of this awful pain goes away permanently. It's also time for me to get my fillings changed. Geesh, always something, huh?

I recently broke down and went to dentist after many years because of tooth pain. I could see nothing wrong with the tooth, but made the appointment and when I told them I had tooth ache they changed it to the next day. By the time I got there i had lesions on one side of my mouth, my tongue and on my gums that I didn’t realize until the assistant showed me. Long story short, dentist said I had shingles in my mouth and sent me to urgent care to get quick access to drugs, there is short time frame.
I was at dentist last week and she told me of patient who came in last week with severe tooth pain. She could see nothing wrong and gave him antibiotics for sore gum. He went to ER that night in so much pain, had MRI, all inconclusive. Next day he broke out in shingles. Reading up on it, i think it’s pretty uncommon to get them there and often the pain is so bad people get the tooth extracted.
So point of this long story is that there are often other reasons for the pain. It’s been 2 months, mouth healed quicky, but they were also in my ear which was awful. Like a 24 hour tooth ache for a month! I just had a filling in bottom molar and that went fine, but still get occasional shooting pains from shingles, or is it the filling? Lol.

I have a feeling once you get wisdom tooth removed you will be fine.

I recently broke down and went to dentist after many years because of tooth pain. I could see nothing wrong with the tooth, but made the appointment and when I told them I had tooth ache they changed it to the next day. By the time I got there i had lesions on one side of my mouth, my tongue and on my gums that I didn’t realize until the assistant showed me. Long story short, dentist said I had shingles in my mouth and sent me to urgent care to get quick access to drugs, there is short time frame.
I was at dentist last week and she told me of patient who came in last week with severe tooth pain. She could see nothing wrong and gave him antibiotics for sore gum. He went to ER that night in so much pain, had MRI, all inconclusive. Next day he broke out in shingles. Reading up on it, i think it’s pretty uncommon to get them there and often the pain is so bad people get the tooth extracted.
So point of this long story is that there are often other reasons for the pain. It’s been 2 months, mouth healed quicky, but they were also in my ear which was awful. Like a 24 hour tooth ache for a month! I just had a filling in bottom molar and that went fine, but still get occasional shooting pains from shingles, or is it the filling? Lol.

I have a feeling once you get wisdom tooth removed you will be fine.

Wow, Shaking in My Boots, I am so sorry you had that horrible experience! I hope that you recover 100% from that awful pain. I hope the wisdom tooth removal does help me. I couldn't imagine living like this.

Back