T
thisisme
Well-known member
- Joined
- Aug 17, 2012
- Messages
- 362
Gosh it’s been 3.5 years. I don’t know if anyone will read this, but lately, I’ve been really struggling with intrusive teeth thoughts.
About a year ago, my ortho offered to close a small gap left by IPR. I declined and then changed my mind 3 months after that. For free sounded like too good of a deal. He then said he’d have to do more IPR, so I thought about it and then declined via email.
When I went to pick up my new retainer (my old one broke), he surprised me with “1.5 trays.” Said the gap would close no problem.
I didn’t ask enough questions. I wore the trays. Everything seemed fine. The gap closed. Then I realized the way light was hitting my front teeth, especially the lateral, was funny. The lateral and whole smile looked more narrow. My smile felt off in a way I couldn’t unsee. It felt like I had ruined everything. I tried to live with it for a month and then tried to reverse it with my old retainer for four months. My teeth went back a little but not fully.
Honestly this was a series of bad decisions. Eventually I had a new retainer made because I was having issues with a molar since reversing. Went back to my ortho 8 months after the whole saga and told him I wasn’t happy. This was such a hard appointment for me to make and go to. He made it sound like it was no big deal, only .5 mm and I’m analyzing it too much. He did however say he’d make me a tray.
But I think I just want my next step to be to compare the old and new scan, really understand what changed, see if I imagined it. (I didn’t, I’ll attach pics).
I’m just worried I’ll never go back to not thinking about teeth again. I haven’t told anyone this. Just letting it suck up mental headspace while it slowly eats me alive. I know there are so much worse things, but my brain is just stuck on this.
On the bright side, that appointment with my ortho wasn’t a total waste. He drilled holes in my retainer and 3 weeks later, the pain seems virtually gone. And my dentist didn’t see anything. I still go regularly and even have a new dentist now. I still don’t love it
Just I didn’t think a lateral would ruin my life but here we are.
If anyone reads this, send me luck and positive vibes. Dental anxiety really is a lifelong struggle.
About a year ago, my ortho offered to close a small gap left by IPR. I declined and then changed my mind 3 months after that. For free sounded like too good of a deal. He then said he’d have to do more IPR, so I thought about it and then declined via email.
When I went to pick up my new retainer (my old one broke), he surprised me with “1.5 trays.” Said the gap would close no problem.
I didn’t ask enough questions. I wore the trays. Everything seemed fine. The gap closed. Then I realized the way light was hitting my front teeth, especially the lateral, was funny. The lateral and whole smile looked more narrow. My smile felt off in a way I couldn’t unsee. It felt like I had ruined everything. I tried to live with it for a month and then tried to reverse it with my old retainer for four months. My teeth went back a little but not fully.
Honestly this was a series of bad decisions. Eventually I had a new retainer made because I was having issues with a molar since reversing. Went back to my ortho 8 months after the whole saga and told him I wasn’t happy. This was such a hard appointment for me to make and go to. He made it sound like it was no big deal, only .5 mm and I’m analyzing it too much. He did however say he’d make me a tray.
But I think I just want my next step to be to compare the old and new scan, really understand what changed, see if I imagined it. (I didn’t, I’ll attach pics).
I’m just worried I’ll never go back to not thinking about teeth again. I haven’t told anyone this. Just letting it suck up mental headspace while it slowly eats me alive. I know there are so much worse things, but my brain is just stuck on this.
On the bright side, that appointment with my ortho wasn’t a total waste. He drilled holes in my retainer and 3 weeks later, the pain seems virtually gone. And my dentist didn’t see anything. I still go regularly and even have a new dentist now. I still don’t love it
Just I didn’t think a lateral would ruin my life but here we are.
If anyone reads this, send me luck and positive vibes. Dental anxiety really is a lifelong struggle.