• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Throbbing pain after crown replaced

  • Thread starter Thread starter ifeelsick
  • Start date Start date
I

ifeelsick

Junior member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
5
I was told I had a cracked crown and I agreed to have it replaced. When I had the temp crown removed and the permanent put in it was so painful and I was writhing in the chair for over an hour before the dentist told me I could have a shot. I don't know what she was doing to my tooth and why it took so long. When I have a crown put on in the US they are always fast and nearly all of them give anesthetic. The one dentist in the US who wouldn't give me anesthetic was at least fast so the pain didn't last long. This one took forever.

Now the tooth is throbbing and I'm concerned, but I never want to go back to this crazy dentist ever again. My last visit was also very painful and she refused to give me a local, even though I was yelling. What a nutjob. I have never seen this kind of dentist in the US. Maybe fifty years ago?

My question is how long should I wait before going to see another dentist to have this tooth checked out? I have never had a throbbing pain after a crown before.
 
Why on earth would you go back to that dentist in the first place? You are in Thailand, correct? Perhaps its an Asian cultures thing, even in children, local is not used routinely. Thought that Thailand was big on the promotion of travel dentistry so this archaic practice suprprises me.

Better to say up front what you want and find a dentist who agrees. And never let anyone continue to work on you if it is painful.

I don't think its unusal for teeth to throb after crown preps, both the soft and hard tissue have been traumatized and some pulpitis is not unusual. Take ibuprofen and use warm salt water rinses for a few days and see if it settles.

rp
 
Back
Top