• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Today is the day and I'm scared

L

lilanxiety

Junior member
Joined
Sep 10, 2018
Messages
4
Hi again,

I made a thread in this forum back in September when I was expecting to go to the dentists but had to cancel because I couldn't face going whilst feeling unwell. Well guess what? I feel even worse today than I did last time but I can't cancel it again or else I'll be crossed off the books.... Help!

My teeth are in an absolute state so I do know I need to go - my front ones have horrible brown and black stains on them and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need 4+ fillings. But my health conditions also decided to flare up this evening and I'm really scared that I'll either pass out or get sick in the car ride there or in the chair. It doesn't help that I haven't been able to sleep either because sleep deprivation makes me feel sicker.

I haven't been to the dentist since I was about 13/14, and I'm 17 now so I'm long overdue. But I just feel so ill and scared and I really don't want to go. I keep thinking about the story that nurse told me about throwing up all over the dentist when she wasn't feeling well and it's making everything 100x worse. My emetophobia has got out of control recently.

Please wish me luck because I am so so so terrified!
 
Hello @ anyone who reads this thread. I went to the dentist and it was less horrible than I expected.

I got in to the waiting room and started sobbing and shaking, but I think filling out forms distracted me a little bit. The dentist himself was really nice and caring! He also has emetophobia so understood why I was so worried.

I thought that I wouldn't let anything near my mouth but somehow I managed to let him do the mirror thing, and the gum examination. I tried the x-ray but the card was too big so I have to go to the dental hospital (again argh!!) to get an around-the-head one. No cavities, just staining! But that's what the x-ray is for, to check if anything is there that couldn't be seen.

I went in terrified and went out...reasonably happy! I'm a little bit proud of myself tbh. I am worried about the scale and polish though because he said that it would take 45 minutes on just the top row! Eek!

Anyway this is how my day went. Thanks 4 reading :) x
 
I'm glad it went well for you!

Well done for being so brave!
 
Wonderful. Such courage.
 
Congrats and very well done, you have all reasons to be proud of yourself! Hope treated yourself nicely today. :)
 
I it one of those around the head xrays.

You should do fine. It is not bad.
 
Glad you found a kind and understanding dentist! It helps that he understands what you are going through because he has emetophobia too. Hope things goes well from here for you.
 
lilanxiety,

I"m glad it went well for you too! :) Just to encourage you on the scaling, I was very scared of this too the first time I did it last year. I was really thankful that it went much better than I expected and feared and my hygienist was very reassuring and patient the whole way through.
 

Similar threads

conqueringfears
Replies
11
Views
2K
conqueringfears
conqueringfears
L
Replies
1
Views
1K
MountainMama
M
S
Replies
1
Views
2K
Enarete
Enarete
Back
Top