• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tomorrow new dentist, abscessed tooth pulling maybe

C

Chromashadows

History : 2014 a different tooth (upper) got abscessed. My side of my face swelled so badly I looked like I had been the loser In a professional boxing fight when I didn't know how to box. I went to the hospital. Had an mri I believe? I ended up being in the hospital 3 days for treatment with antibioticss.

Never got the tooth out (couldn't afford to) and no issues since. Soon as I save up $200 to $300 per tooth, all uppers will be removed. Anyway.

Tomorrow I'm to have a new dentist possibly pull my lower #18 (USA numbering) molar. It's definitely abscessed far as I can tell. Soon as I called the dentist and said "I not a patient yet but I need to come in, I think it's abcessed-" the receptionist immediately got my info and set me up tomorrow (October 10 2018) to see me. I would think a round of antibiotics would be needed before they extract the tooth if it is in full abscess mode, yes? Isn't it dangerous to pull an infected tooth? Also my lower jaw, temple and ear and throat below my jaw (where the pointed bend is on the jaw, if you will) exploded in stabbing violently sharp pain from Thursday Oct 4 til Sunday Oct 7th and it's threatening to start up again today (Oct 9). I risked overdosing on ibuprofen and Tylenol mix but it never helped the pain at all. I found some 5 month old amoxicillin and took those every 8 hours from Thurs to Sunday but it didn't do much.

I'm so worried nothing will kill this infection and it will kill me instead if they extract and it's not fully gone. Should I tell the dentist about the amoxicillin I took (one bottle was 500mg, the other was 850mg), seeing that maybe they can give me something stronger?

Sorry to hear that you had such a rough time with this infected tooth. I don't know much about abscesses so I can't comment on that. But I just wanted to say definitely be open with your dentist what medications you have been on. This is very important so that they have the information to either adjust what they'll give you or not give you in case there are any potential drug interactions.

Hope your dental appointment goes well for you.

I hope your appointment goes well. I currently am on antibiotics for an abscess on my front upper tooth. It is affecting my nose and sinuses.

My husband had a bad abscess on a back upper molar that was to the point where it exploded in pain. He is very anti medication but he took the maximum dosage of ibuprofen and tylenol and went to the dentist the following day (without an appointment). They ended up pulling the tooth right then, and the molar next to it, as it has become infected as well. He was put on a strong antibiotic afterwards. He recovered nicely. They cleaned the site out really well at the office also.

Chromashadows..

Just checking to see how everything went with you on this and how the new dentist was for you? and how you are feeling ..

I went but no pulling until the 19th. Pretty infected. So I'm on more amoxicillin and tramadol as needed for pain,... I guess the root is slightly curved so I may have to have the bone shaved a bit to get it out. That freaks me out. But dentist will do every thing he can to politely convince the tooth to loosen nicely and slip out haha.

I felt comfy with him. I felt more like a patient instead of a mouth of bad teeth and money. This dentist seems to realize my teeth aren't good and wants to deal with things one at a time.

My mouth is so tiny the xray thing didn't fit in my mouth so he had me hold it up with one finger. Took a few tries but the xray was had.

I'm hoping he'll say not all of my top teeth need removed. Honestly I feel most can be saved, drilled and filled in with fake tooth to make them whole again. I have between 80 and 97% of each of my top teeth. It's just cavities up along the gumline. Well, cavity rot. And some bottom corners chipped off. It's why I can not believe they all need yanked out. I simply can't.

20181010_200316.jpg

To me they seem fixable. :( I don't want top dentures if not needed. Sorry how gross they are.

I just had my lower back 2nd molar extracted yesterday. I had really curvy roots, but it came out easily with no bone shaving. I bet yours will come out easily as well.

View attachment 2895

To me they seem fixable. :( I don't want top dentures if not needed. Sorry how gross they are.

Sorry, at least the front 4 are not fixable IMO. The decay extends away down below the gum line, there's no way back from that, anything that was put in would fail very quickly.

I had to come back and give an update. My old bad top teeth picture is above this reply. My dentist was able to clean out all the rot and used a deeper rumbling thing to etch the remaining teeth left (one tooth only had 25% left but he still worked magic!!)

The one bad Tooth needs a root canal and then will be fixed as the others were. I assume he used a resin can't remember the name.... But I have new teeth put onto my old teeth :'D. Used a blue light on outside and inside of my mouth to set the resin.

So far 5 teeth only cost me $473 dollars total. I'm so happy and my self esteem is back in full. Look at the ART this dentist did. Xxoo

PS: it REAALY pisses me off 2 other dentists said I needed all my tops pulled out. Makes me wonder how many poor souls needlessly lost their teeth when they could have been fixed. Grrrrr
Of course mine are NOT as tough as originally. I must be careful not to bite a hard candy, chew off a fingernail, etc etc. But I'm able to eat normally.

Pic of the amazing art.
These were teeth that "couldn't be saved and all needed out" pft 20190531_180148.jpg

Here are the teeth before being drilled and cleaned and having "new teeth" resin applied. Just in case the older pic in an earlier reply on this thread can't be found. (the "yellow" front tooth was way worse : he fixed it about a month ago and mt dew soda dyed it greenish yellow. He polished it white again and I now drink flavored water with a straw. Forever straw.
I believe the pic 2 replies back has my original complete bad teef pre fixing.
20190531_180040.png

Thanks for the update, Chromashadows, your teeth look great!

They look great! I am glad you have your self esteem back!

Back