• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tongue tingling/burning 3 days post root canal

L

lawilliams

My dentist has been in the process of doing 2 root canals over the past 3 weeks. I am in my third week of antibiotics and each visit he is using around 10 shots to get me numb because I have been feeling a lot of pain during the process. I am currently experiencing tingling and burning on the right side of my tongue after a visit on Monday. It has been 3 days and there is no relief. It is, in fact, getting worse. I am worried about permanent nerve damage. Is there anyone who could give me information about how common this is, recovery times, and how concerned I should be? I have made an appointment with an Endodontist to finish the root canal as I do not feel comfortable going back to my regular dentist. Comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry, I missed this yesterday. You should be aware of some returning sensation soon, if it's not back to normal in a week, make an appointment with a dentist for evaluation. Sometimes a steroid injection helps, but it's best to wait a bit first.

Thanks for the response. I have been referred to a Neurologist to see if he can provide me with any relief. Apparently, the langual (sp?) nerve has been damaged and I am to wait 6 weeks to see if the symptoms resolve themselves before anyone will proceed with my root canals. They don't want to exacerbate the problem. :( Thanks again.

Sometimes Vit B12 can help, it might be coincidence or it might be a placebo effect, but it might be worth having a shot at taking some vitamin supplements.