• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Abscess keeping me awake.

P

Pbrandy1229

I have a painful abscess. As I have no dental insurance , I'm currently self treating with amoxicillin and salt water. But I've been on Google and I'm terrified I'm gonna die and leave my babies without a mom. I'm afraid to go to sleep. I dont know what to do

I encourage you to call 211 (or your local crisis line).

Tell them what you told us.

I have a painful abscess. As I have no dental insurance , I'm currently self treating with amoxicillin and salt water. But I've been on Google and I'm terrified I'm gonna die and leave my babies without a mom. I'm afraid to go to sleep. I dont know what to do

It is pretty rare for an abscess to get to the point where it spreads and causes problems with areas other than the tooth. I had an undetected abscess for more than a year, probably two years. It was very large by the time it was detected (the tooth was dead so I had no feeling in it). By the time it was hurting, it was big enough that a root canal and apicoectomy didn't get rid of all the infection.

Mine didn't spread beyond the tooth and surrounding bone.

That said, you do need to get it treated. Talk to different dental offices and see what your options are. If nothing else, you can get the tooth extracted, which is not as expensive.

I have kids as well, so I understand the anxiety and fear. I was terrified that mine had spread and was very relieved when the endodontist told me that was rare.

Hi Pbrandy,

I'm sorry to hear of your painful absess.. Those are awful , and draining.. especially when finances are an issue and no insurance. I don't know if any of these are close to you but bound a fb page for free and reduced dental care in South Carolina.. maybe there are some options.. ? I hope you find some relief.

I had one, even though i go the dentist regularly. I was scared to go back in between, I waited two nights to go. I could see there was a problem on the xray even though I am not a dentist.

Hi Pbrandy1229,

many people are afraid of an abscess spreading and killing them, so we have a thread about it in the FAQ section here on the forum. We also have one thread with ideas about how to get treatment in US if you have no insurance. Hope it can put you at ease and also keep my fingers crossed for you to be able to get it treated soon.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Back