• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extracted 3 days ago-bad pain

17mrgrace

Hello, I am 15. Thursday is when I went to the dentist. They gave me ibuprofen, laughing gas, and numbed me with about 6 shots. They filled some of my teeth in on my upper left side of my mouth before extracting my tooth. My tooth was completely broken off, so it couldn`t just be pulled. They used this thing to wiggle it out of place so they could pull it. It hurt so bad when they were pulling it, and it made the most awfullest noise coming out. They put this foam thing where the tooth had been to help with the clotting I think? I have some questions:
1) Could the reason why I`m in such pain be they had to wiggle the tooth and work it before they could even pull it? I`ve had teeth taken out before but it never hurt this bad. I`m currently taking ibuprofen for the pain.
2) When will the foam thing come out? I HATE it.I have a fear of swallowing things and choking so I wont sleep until its gone. Also, my breath smells terrible- why? Is there something wrong?
3) Why can I feel pulsating from where the tooth was? Also, the area is swollen, is that normal? I`m doing warm salt water rinses(Not swishing hard, not spitting it out, I let it kinda fall out)
4) The side of my mouth where I got the tooth taken out hurts to like "lift up"/try to smile. Is that normal? It feels stiff
I`m sorry for all the questions- I`m just scared.

Hi it shouldn't have hurt when they removed the tooth, if you ever need another tooth removing and you feel anything then let them know and they can numb you some more.

The tooth, or the root may have been infected and that would make it hard to numb.

If you are in really bad pain and the pain meds are not working, go back to the dentist and let them have a look you may have dry socket or an infection. These can be treated quickly and will fairly quickly get you out of pain.

Some mild pain is normal in some cases as if feeling a bit stiff.

I don't know what the foam is, but I think it will come out when the tooth heals enough to expel it, you heal from the bottom up.

The throbbing could mean you have some infection which may need some antibiotics, or dry socket can also cause this feeling.

There is nothing to be scared of, but please go back to the dentist and let them have a look.

Good luck :butterfly:

Hi it shouldn't have hurt when they removed the tooth, if you ever need another tooth removing and you feel anything then let them know and they can numb you some more.

The tooth, or the root may have been infected and that would make it hard to numb.

If you are in really bad pain and the pain meds are not working, go back to the dentist and let them have a look you may have dry socket or an infection. These can be treated quickly and will fairly quickly get you out of pain.

Some mild pain is normal in some cases as if feeling a bit stiff.

I don't know what the foam is, but I think it will come out when the tooth heals enough to expel it, you heal from the bottom up.

The throbbing could mean you have some infection which may need some antibiotics, or dry socket can also cause this feeling.

There is nothing to be scared of, but please go back to the dentist and let them have a look.

Good luck :butterfly:

Hi! So the gelfoam fell out and it feels extremely better. No more pain or throbbing, my mouth is sore but it feels so much better. I`m doing warm salt water rinses a lot, should I still go to the dentist or am I ok now?

Back