• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction healing okay?

R

rxbecca

Hi
I had one of my left bottom molars extracted on Friday morning (almost 3 days ago)
I don’t have much pain however during the night I am sometimes woken by jaw pain and pain in my adjacent teeth (like a throbbing)
I have attached a picture of the extraction site and wondering if it looks normal? I know it’s hard to tell. When I first looked at it I panicked as it looks quite scary and not what I expected!

Thanks

Attachments

• 0168C639-C3DA-4185-ABDC-658EBE7B58DE.jpeg
    0168C639-C3DA-4185-ABDC-658EBE7B58DE.jpeg
    581.4 KB · Views: 37
It looks exactly like mine, when I had my lower 2nd molar extracted. Mine looked gross, too...granulation tissue.

With my extraction last year, my teeth next to the extracted one hurt quite a bit for weeks. The extraction site ached but didn't throb.

It looks exactly like mine, when I had my lower 2nd molar extracted. Mine looked gross, too...granulation tissue.

I had dry socket when my wisdom teeth were removed. It was awful. It throbbed all along my jaw constantly.

With my extraction last year, m teeth next to the extracted one hurt quite a bit for weeks. The extraction site ached but didn't throb.

Thanks. I've been getting a lot of pain through the night and in the morning but I just don't know if it's normal or not? It's not excruciating pain but it is pretty painful. It tends to go away with a couple of ibuprofen. I just don't really want to be living on painkillers for god knows how long:( I guess it's just "healing pain" but it's frustrating lol

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been getting a lot of pain through the night and in the morning but I just don't know if it's normal or not? It's not excruciating pain but it is pretty painful. It tends to go away with a couple of ibuprofen. I just don't really want to be living on painkillers for god knows how long:( I guess it's just "healing pain" but it's frustrating lol

If you are worried, it wouldn't hurt to call your dentist/oral surgeon and have them take a look. Dry socket usually hits about 2 to 3 days after the extraction. If it would ease your mind, it would be worth it.

I am not a dentist, so I can't say that your pain is normal. I had pain for about a week, but everyone is different.

Well I am kind of passed the 3 days now. The pain isn’t horrible so probably normal :) will contact my dentist in the next few days if it worsens I guess. Thanks!

Well I am kind of passed the 3 days now. The pain isn’t horrible so probably normal :) will contact my dentist in the next few days if it worsens I guess. Thanks!

Glad it is getting better! That is definitely a good sign.

It’s now a week after the extraction today, pretty much no pain at all. However I feel like the socket LOOKS worse. Yesterday it looked good and looked as though it was almost closing up. Today I’ve woke up to it looking gross again (very dark etc similar to first pic)
Don’t know if this is normal? :unsure:
There’s no pain at all so not overly concerned just wondering how long it should take for it to fully close over?

It’s now a week after the extraction today, pretty much no pain at all. However I feel like the socket LOOKS worse. Yesterday it looked good and looked as though it was almost closing up. Today I’ve woke up to it looking gross again (very dark etc similar to first pic)
Don’t know if this is normal? :unsure:
There’s no pain at all so not overly concerned just wondering how long it should take for it to fully close over?

It will look gross for a few weeks. Mine didn't start looking "normal" until about a month, and the hole just closed up last month, which was 3 months after extraction.

Mine ( grantee was an upper back molar so I can’t really see it, thank goodness lol) was just about a month ago and I can feel it’s no where near healed however I can also tell it’s starting to ever so slowly fill in. Hang tight! Looks good so far to me !

Back