• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction, is it infected?

A

AdamK1989

Hello

I am new to this site and am looking for some support and reassurance before I slowly go mad with worry!

I had a tooth extraction last Thursday so I am not on day 6 post extraction. While most the gum has healed, I am still getting some slight pain, (also some spurts of intense pain which last about 20 minutes) that happens about twice a day.
Also the gum is still quite sore,

I was not given antibiotics, but I fear I have an infection. I am NOT in unbearable pain nor have I had any fever or bleeding, but I'm still worrying as the site looks like it has yellow in it!? Is this normal? Also just below the site, I have a little indent that has some yellowish colour in it (could be an ulcer?)

Also when I have touched the site with my tongue, I get a very strange taste in my mouth,

I have attached a picture to help with my description,

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance

Adam

Attachments

• tooth 2016 .jpg
    tooth 2016 .jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 54
I don't know if its infected, but it doesn't look right that you can still see yellow/white sliver there and there's a funky taste. I've had that same tooth extracted too (well mine was tooth 30) and when it healed up completely you would not see any yellow/white. It did take awhile to get all healed up, so maybe it needs more time for the gum to surround it. Jut because of the funky taste, call your dentist.

I have had dry socket twice and its agony from day two onwards. I had my left side molar , next to my wisdom tooth extracted last Tuesday. Despite the fact that it's almost one week ago, I'm still getting swelling, soreness and the odd sharp pain. This is normal. Dry socket is a severe pain that painkillers can't sort out. Give it a few more days to fully heal and you will be fine!

Hi AdamK1989,

Thank you for posting the image, as that helps alot. It appears that the extraction socket is still healing.

Assuming your medical history allows you to take painkillers, you can use ibuprofen/acetaminophen for any mild discomfort. You can also do some warm salt water rinses, especially after meals, to ensure that the extraction socket is clean to allow it to heal properly.

Give it a few more days and if the problem persists, don't hesitate to contact the dentist that performed the extraction!

Back