• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction Tomorrow - terrified

B

BobbyStrange

Hello,

I am having my back molar removed because I had a crack in a filling and decay got to close to the bone...I have no pain but the dentist told root canal is not an option because there is no where for the crown to adhere...I could either do a jaw shaving, which isn’t happening or a tooth extraction. We went with tooth extraction...I’m terrified about the shots...this stems from a palate injection from when I was a kid...hahaha, I’ve had some cavities in the past and I’m just wondering if the injections for numbing bottom molar is the same for bottom molar filling...freaking out, hoping for some relief...thank you!

Yes, it's the same as for a bottom molar filling, nothing like as bad as a palatal injection (which also shouldn't be that bad these days!)

I am having my back molar removed because I had a crack in a filling and decay got to close to the bone.. tooth extraction..
freaking out, hoping for some relief.

Hello, BobbyStrange.

I just had two teeth extracted today for the first time in my life (after multiple decades of keeping my original teeth), and I can tell you my experiences so far. It has only been around 12 hours since the 'operation' started, though.

There isn't any pain, although I took the last painkiller about 1.5 hours before the operation (200 mg Ibuprofen), and about 6 hours earlier, the first painkiller (400 mg Ibuprofen).

Basically I am waiting for the pain to start, and then worried about if I am able to eat 'cleanly' on only the other side of the mouth (and I plan to eat mostly soups and ice cream, yoghurts, etc. for a few days), and able to clean the mouth efficiently while having to brush very carefully. I wonder if I am allowed to spit, or if it's just the first few hours that you're not supposed to do that. Kinda hard to brush teeth without being able to spit afterwards.

I am also worried about keeping the 'hole' clean, I plan to go and buy some kind of mouthwash with chlorhexidine in it.

I plan to eat only after 24 hours have passed since the operation.

Other than that, I am feeling fine, my normal, usual self, besides being a bit tired from only sleeping for 5 hours and such.

So at least for me (so far), this kind of double-tooth-extraction has been an almost pleasant process, nothing to worry about. Maybe it will be easy for you as well. The crunching sounds can be a bit scary, but other than that, the operation itself was fast and painless, and they put some stitches in there.

I actually got my tooth pulled on Monday the 11th...I went in on December 8 and my blood pressure was so high the dentist recommended I do an IV sedation...that was amazing...felt the prick of the IV he asked how I felt and next thing I know he is telling me that I did great during the procedure...day one I just ate smoothies by the spoonful...later after the numbing wore off I had some broccoli cheddar soup...next day I did pretty much the same thing...yesterday I started eating regular food extremely carefully on the opposite side of my mouth in small pieces...chewing it until it was basically purée before swallowing...today as well...no spitting or using a straw for 7 days...brush my teeth regularly but skip the bottom left side...instead of spitting, I just put a little water in my mouth and slowly move it around and then let it fall out...then I clean my mouth with salt water after i eat...i do the same system, just open my mouth and let it fall out.

Back