A
Anne2023
Member
- Joined
- Dec 15, 2023
- Messages
- 44
- Location
- USA
I am so, so frustrated. I have a severe dental phobia, but I was trying to get everything caught up last year. My dentist retired at the end of 2021 and I have also been trying different dentists to find one that I am comfortable with and am confident is technically competent.
I have seen at least four dentists who were not concerned about a tooth that is in big trouble now. Tooth number 27 on the bottom right near the front was hurting when the floss would rub up against it. I pointed it out to all four dentists. One originally said upon closer examination that it did need a really small filling. Then at a later appointment she said, no we're not doing any fillings on the bottom right - we're doing two on the bottom left. The last exam I had was last August with a different dentist. I asked him to check all my teeth and pointed out that there was some pain on 27. He saw nothing. So, I comforted myself with the idea that I was good to go for now. Well, about a month ago I started feeling sensitivity to cold on that tooth. I made an appointment with the dentist I saw in August. That appointment was for today. In the meantime, I started having sensitivity to heat, which it is my understanding is a bad sign compared to cold. The floss is also catching now on some kind of ridge. I can see the gray area of the tooth myself in the mirror, but I could see it months ago when the dentists told me it was okay. I went today and he did bitewings and talked with me. I specifically asked for a peri-apical x-ray of #27. He put it on the screen to show me, and he looked like he was trying to hide shock or embarrassment. He said, this must be what you're feeling, you're right. And there was a huge! cavity that looks very close to the nerve. He said there is not much space in there between the cavity and the nerve but that it can be filled without a root canal, but I already have heat sensitivity. When I asked about that specifically, he kind of politely blew it off.
I am beside myself. This tooth has been decaying for at least two years while one dentist after another assured me all was well. When I reported pain that they couldn't see, why didn't they do a peri-apical? I had so many questions back then and other teeth to ask about that it didn't occur to me to push for one until today, but why didn't they think of it? I have already lost 8 teeth in addition to my wisdom teeth. So far, only one top tooth was close enough to the front that you can kind of see it if I laugh out loud, but if I lose #27 it will be obvious to everyone. I got a partial that I sometimes use for eating, but I don't like to wear it normally. If I lose #27, I would have to have a partial in all the time that I am around people. It is driving me crazy that I knew something was wrong and didn't push harder because they were so sure. I don't get it.
I know the heat sensitivity is a bad sign and that oftentimes the decay is deeper than it appears on x-ray once they get in there to fix it. I have tried so hard to accept the loss of one tooth after another due to my phobia, but the thought of losing this one in the front due to multiple misdiagnoses is more than I can stand.
I have seen at least four dentists who were not concerned about a tooth that is in big trouble now. Tooth number 27 on the bottom right near the front was hurting when the floss would rub up against it. I pointed it out to all four dentists. One originally said upon closer examination that it did need a really small filling. Then at a later appointment she said, no we're not doing any fillings on the bottom right - we're doing two on the bottom left. The last exam I had was last August with a different dentist. I asked him to check all my teeth and pointed out that there was some pain on 27. He saw nothing. So, I comforted myself with the idea that I was good to go for now. Well, about a month ago I started feeling sensitivity to cold on that tooth. I made an appointment with the dentist I saw in August. That appointment was for today. In the meantime, I started having sensitivity to heat, which it is my understanding is a bad sign compared to cold. The floss is also catching now on some kind of ridge. I can see the gray area of the tooth myself in the mirror, but I could see it months ago when the dentists told me it was okay. I went today and he did bitewings and talked with me. I specifically asked for a peri-apical x-ray of #27. He put it on the screen to show me, and he looked like he was trying to hide shock or embarrassment. He said, this must be what you're feeling, you're right. And there was a huge! cavity that looks very close to the nerve. He said there is not much space in there between the cavity and the nerve but that it can be filled without a root canal, but I already have heat sensitivity. When I asked about that specifically, he kind of politely blew it off.
I am beside myself. This tooth has been decaying for at least two years while one dentist after another assured me all was well. When I reported pain that they couldn't see, why didn't they do a peri-apical? I had so many questions back then and other teeth to ask about that it didn't occur to me to push for one until today, but why didn't they think of it? I have already lost 8 teeth in addition to my wisdom teeth. So far, only one top tooth was close enough to the front that you can kind of see it if I laugh out loud, but if I lose #27 it will be obvious to everyone. I got a partial that I sometimes use for eating, but I don't like to wear it normally. If I lose #27, I would have to have a partial in all the time that I am around people. It is driving me crazy that I knew something was wrong and didn't push harder because they were so sure. I don't get it.
I know the heat sensitivity is a bad sign and that oftentimes the decay is deeper than it appears on x-ray once they get in there to fix it. I have tried so hard to accept the loss of one tooth after another due to my phobia, but the thought of losing this one in the front due to multiple misdiagnoses is more than I can stand.