• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache/Stinging Gum/Percussion Test

M

Moley

I caught my gum whilst brushing 3 or 4 nights ago, resulting in a small amount of blood and something between a stinging feeling and an ache lingering for a while. I bought some Corsodyl mouthwash and it seems to have done the trick in regards to the gum problems and I've had no blood whilst brushing since I've been using it.

However I did the old percussion/tap test using my fingernail and also a plastic dental mirror we have and there was definitely a difference between the upper teeth on that side (with the lateral incisor nearest the gum pain being the worst) and the others, but only when I put a bit of force behind the taps.

Am I as screwed as I think I am, or is the tap test not the be all and end all? It doesn't seem to affected by heat, cold or even when brushing with my electric toothbrush. Plus with the British summer being as warm and sunny as I've been alive to see, I've suffered from hayfever on a whole new scale this year with me having a pretty deep cough almost every evening when the tablets start wearing off.

Last edited:
Re: Toothache/Stinging Gum

If the gum feels fine now your prob ok! If your worried book in with your dentist for a quick check x

Just used the mirror to check the back of my teeth and noticed an upside down black/grey V-shape with a line going up the tooth (but not all the way) on the back of the lateral incisor. I am now completely and utterly terrified.

Last edited:
Just used the mirror to check the back of my teeth and noticed an upside down black/grey V-shape with a line going up the tooth (but not all the way) on the back of the lateral incisor. I am now completely and utterly terrified.

Is it a a very small v dark shape! I have that too I think it’s normal tooth anatomy

Is it a a very small v dark shape! I have that too I think it’s normal tooth anatomy
It definitely seems to follow the shape of the tooth, I just don't know how long it has been there as I usually only use the mirror if I get a bit of food stuck between my teeth to help fish it out.

But I am certainly hoping its what you are saying.

Just as a follow-up to this, yesterday evening the percussion test didn't hurt. First thing this morning it did and then 5-10 minutes ago it didn't. Wish it would make its mind up!