• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Topical Gel

D

DeathMetalCoward

So here's the deal, I'm a complete freak when It comes to needles. I think I may be the worst case EVER.:cry: So, my only gripe about my new dentist is that he doesn't use Gas, which has always worked in the past, so he says he uses some kind of "advanced" gel to numb the tissue before the needle goes in. Does that really work? I need a serious honest answer.

Also, switching dentists is not an option.

Thanks.

It definately works:cheers:, I am very afraid of needles too and it stops almost all of the pain. Whats your favorite metal band?:)

It definately works:cheers:, I am very afraid of needles too and it stops almost all of the pain. Whats your favorite metal band?:)
Cannibal Corpse man!:devilish: I think it's funny how i listen to music about decapitation, and i can't handle a needle...:confused:. Other favorites include Death, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth.

I have gotten about 15 shots of novacaine over the past two weeks. For me, the numbing gel doesn't fully numb my gums, but it sure helps A LOT. If anything it feels like a little pinch but that's it. The only shots that have really hurt after they have used the gel are shots right underneath my nose in the front of my mouth. Those are painful, but only because of the nerves right there. It helps to close your eyes and bring headphones with you.

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/needle-phobia/ This is our section on 'Needle Phobia' ...it includes the assertion that topical 'really works' provided it is left on for long enough. The dentist's technique is also important when it comes to giving comfortable injections as you will see if you read it (slow delivery). Chances are you will be fine with this dentist since he has discussed the issue with you and not said you should expect any discomfort.
If it helps, I am not needle phobic but of all the dental injections I have had from different dentists none have been painful.

Same here, the gel doesn't completely help with the shots, but can still feel it. Or maybe it's just that he hadn't left it on long enough. I will have to tell him to wait next time. See if it really works.

Back