A
abricru
Junior member
- Joined
- Apr 21, 2008
- Messages
- 4
- Location
- Georgia
First of all, I do not want to scare anybody that is already scared of the dentist. I just have a question about what happened to me.
My dentist told me I needed to have 5 root tips removed (mostly molars) and also my tori. Everyone on both sides of my family have had the tori, but none of them except one great aunt have had them removed. The great aunt said it was terrible, and don't ever do it. I told the oral surgeon that, and he said they have come a long way since then, and not to worry. He said he had had his tori removed, and it was a "breeze."
I had had one tooth removed there before, but with a different surgeon. I had twilight sleep then, and remember nothing about the surgery. When I "came to" I was sitting in a chair in another room and did not even remember how I got there. That is how I thought this time was going to be.
Instead, this time they gave me the IV, and I kept waiting to be knocked out, but it never happened. I became woozy, and probably drifted in and out, but I definitely remember saying "Ow!" about twenty times, and trying to cover my mouth with my hand. I remember him gruffly telling me to be quiet several times and be still. I remember seeing him with the instruments and feeling a sore-like pain, not too bad, but the whole thing was just a horrible experience, because I was expecting to be asleep, and I was already scared to death. When they walked me from the operating area to the recovery area, I was completely awake, and extremely angry. I think I called the surgeon some nasty names, as well as the nurse. (which is NOT like me at all!) I kept trying to tell them I was awake, but they ignored me and spoke to the friend that was driving me.
My friend said that the surgeon told her he gave me THREE times the normal amount of sedative, and he was not allowed to give me anymore by law. Then he asked if I was a heavy drinker or drug user (which really insulted me). I was so mad I asked to see another doctor for my first follow-up. The second time they tricked me, and I had to see Satan
, I mean, the surgeon, again.
I want to know why this happened to me. Do I have any recourse against the surgeon? I have had a ruptured appendix, second degree burns, impacted wisdom teeth removed, many abscessed teeth and other bad health things, but nothing compares to the horror of this. I am on several drugs for depression, anxiety, and diabetes, as well as blood pressure, cholesterol, and thryoid medicines, but I put them all down on the papers I had to fill out. I even asked him if I could take a xanax the morning of the surgery, because I was so scared, and he said no. Why didn't it work like it did the first time? I drink once in a while on the weekends, but I don't consider myself a heavy drinker. And I don't drink any more now, than I did the first time, probably less.
Any ideas on why this happened to me? Now I swear I will never have any oral surgery again. Thanks for any help or advice.

My dentist told me I needed to have 5 root tips removed (mostly molars) and also my tori. Everyone on both sides of my family have had the tori, but none of them except one great aunt have had them removed. The great aunt said it was terrible, and don't ever do it. I told the oral surgeon that, and he said they have come a long way since then, and not to worry. He said he had had his tori removed, and it was a "breeze."
I had had one tooth removed there before, but with a different surgeon. I had twilight sleep then, and remember nothing about the surgery. When I "came to" I was sitting in a chair in another room and did not even remember how I got there. That is how I thought this time was going to be.
Instead, this time they gave me the IV, and I kept waiting to be knocked out, but it never happened. I became woozy, and probably drifted in and out, but I definitely remember saying "Ow!" about twenty times, and trying to cover my mouth with my hand. I remember him gruffly telling me to be quiet several times and be still. I remember seeing him with the instruments and feeling a sore-like pain, not too bad, but the whole thing was just a horrible experience, because I was expecting to be asleep, and I was already scared to death. When they walked me from the operating area to the recovery area, I was completely awake, and extremely angry. I think I called the surgeon some nasty names, as well as the nurse. (which is NOT like me at all!) I kept trying to tell them I was awake, but they ignored me and spoke to the friend that was driving me.
My friend said that the surgeon told her he gave me THREE times the normal amount of sedative, and he was not allowed to give me anymore by law. Then he asked if I was a heavy drinker or drug user (which really insulted me). I was so mad I asked to see another doctor for my first follow-up. The second time they tricked me, and I had to see Satan
, I mean, the surgeon, again.I want to know why this happened to me. Do I have any recourse against the surgeon? I have had a ruptured appendix, second degree burns, impacted wisdom teeth removed, many abscessed teeth and other bad health things, but nothing compares to the horror of this. I am on several drugs for depression, anxiety, and diabetes, as well as blood pressure, cholesterol, and thryoid medicines, but I put them all down on the papers I had to fill out. I even asked him if I could take a xanax the morning of the surgery, because I was so scared, and he said no. Why didn't it work like it did the first time? I drink once in a while on the weekends, but I don't consider myself a heavy drinker. And I don't drink any more now, than I did the first time, probably less.
Any ideas on why this happened to me? Now I swear I will never have any oral surgery again. Thanks for any help or advice.

Last edited:
.

