• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tori Removed

A

Ann Mel

I’m having a tori removed Thursday morning .what can I expect?

My Tori is in the roof of my mouth.. I’m scared.. how long will it take for recovery.. how painful is it going to be?

Hi Ann Mel :welcome:,

sorry to read you haven't got any reply so far. Maybe posting this in the Ask a Dentist section might help so that the forum dentists can see it. Generally your dentist should always make sure to make you nice and numb before starting any procedure so while I don't know much (ok, nothing) about tori removal, a good numbing should be a pre-requisite. Hope you get a reply from someone knowledgable soon. I would also encourage you talk to your dentist about your worries and ask them what the procedure will be about.

All the best wishes.

Your dentist is best placed to answer this, I've no idea what size the torus is, where it is, what technique is going to be used to remove it etc. etc. so it'd be blind guesswork on my part to try to answer your questions, sorry.

Well I had the tori Removed today... to be honest it was not bad .. it Was done in office and my Doctor was great ... I only felt two things one when he did some of the numbing and at one point I felt him break one side of the Tori a loose ( no Bad at all) . Now I’m home and resting ...washing the model he fit in the top of my mouth ... it does bleed a good bit but NO pain... eating soft ice cream ..I just took some ibuprofen just in case it started hurting.. going to sleep now more TOMORROW..Day #1.

Glad that is all done and it went well. Rest and just baby yourself this weekend. Hugs.

Good morning... had a good night ( the only thing I woke up several times) not pain! I guess just lite sleep thinking I was glad it’s over. The bleeding stop after about 6 hrs.. dr called said I could wash the plate and use warm salt water.. it helps ...Absolutely no pain .... I took Ibuprofen 400m just in case it started.. if your thinking about doing this I recommend Dr Akin he’s great..I waited 2 years I was so afraid .what a waste of time.. Thinking of it.... I would say go for it. Day #2

Ann,

This is great to hear!! Sounds like a good experience with Dr Akin. Did you know we do have a referral section in DFC.. we love to recommend anxious friendly dentists to others :)..

no I don’t even know what DFC is All about? pls Explain!

krlovesherkids777 is talking about the section of the forum where you can recommend your dentist so if others are looking for help they know where to go. You can post about it yourself or, if you would rather, one of the admin here can add it on your behalf.

But just to give you a update on my tori being Removed.. God I had a nice day. No bleeding, no swelling, no pain .... I only wish I had done it sooner.. the only thing I’m doing now is take the tray out and use warm Salt water and wash the tray.. if it continues like this i just should not have waited... I had a couple of pieces removed which didn’t do much...the bone will come thru again, before I decided to have the whole thing removed.. I have to tell you that I have been on Boniva for my bones and it made this Tori get very large.. insurance will not cover it at all.. with both Dr it’s cost me $4000 ... but I would do it again.. it had to come out I would do it AGAIN..!

Good morning,Had a very good night no pain , bleeding, swelling, just wish I could go without this tray but I know it has to be there to protect it until it’s healed.. I have appointment on the 22nd but I think I’ll see if I can get it sooner to see how it’s healing..... to remove the tray and be done.. so far a total breeze.. thanks to Dr Akin. If your in this area and need this surgery look no further.. he’s the one I totally suggest. #day 3

Good Morning things are moving along fine.. it’s a lil sore this morning but not too bad.. the only thing at this point that’s bothering me is the tray you have to ware to cover the roof of your mouth.... you can’t really chew so I’m having yogurt and ice cream.. I’ll really be glad when I can have a good meal.. If you need this surgery and in this area DR AKIN is the doctor to go to.. day #4

Good morning..All is good No pain, no swelling .. it’s a lil sore and I can feel the stitches . Be so glad when they come out.. the only thing that bothers me now is the tray I need to ware until tomorrow.. it’s really a problem can’t really eat much with it. See the Dr on the 22nd.. If I had to do this again I would not consider anyone but Dr Akin he’s by far the best in the area. Day #6

I was just told I have tori (on the bottom). I had never noticed this before. I thought it was normal until this dentist pointed it out yesterday. Does it need to be removed? Can you stop it growing? I guess I need a mouth guard if I grind my teeth. I wasn't aware I did this. I told the dentist I chew a ton of gum (like several packs a day!) but he said that wasn't the reason I have this. Thanks!

I’m not sure about your tori .. however mine was in the roof of my mouth.. I had been taking Boniva for my bones that made it grow ... I wanted it out it bothered me when I was eating something fried .. glad I had it Removed... I don’t know where you live but I think Dr AKIN in Baton Rouge is the best.. NO Pain.. good luck!

Good morning.. this will be my last update ... I’m fine! I will stop using the tray as of today.. don’t have any problem so far .. just need to heal... hope this has help someone that’s having this surgery.. I won’t be posting anymore until I have the stitches out on the 22nd.. If you have a tori it’s really not bad.. Dr Akin in Baton Rouge is the best..Day #7

I was just told I have tori (on the bottom). I had never noticed this before. I thought it was normal until this dentist pointed it out yesterday. Does it need to be removed? Can you stop it growing? I guess I need a mouth guard if I grind my teeth. I wasn't aware I did this. I told the dentist I chew a ton of gum (like several packs a day!) but he said that wasn't the reason I have this. Thanks!
Good morning ... I read about your Tori.. mine never stop getting larger in my opinion if your going to have it Removed I would do it before it gets larger .. the tissue that covers it is very thin and I think its better to have it done when it’s small.. ( my Opinion) If your in this area DR AKIN is by far the best to go to.. I went to several and even had a couple of chips removed with another dr.. it does not work the bone will come thru in other spots.. so I wanted it out And elected to have Dr Akin.. he’s the best No Pain!

Just got back from the Dentist.. They said I was healed so it’s over and I’m thrilled.it really was a breeze thanks to Dr Akin. So all I have to say is if you have a tori and you have the right Dr it’s not bad at all. It took a total of two weeks.

Back