• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trying to find the courage to call

C

citius

Where do I start?

I'm 48 and haven't been to the dentist in over ten years. My teeth (those that are left) are in horrible shape. Half my mouth is broken rotting stumps. I have a a hard time believing I've let myself get into this state.

I've had dental phobia that was mild when I was young, but got worse as I got older. I made it through a couple of root canals heavily tranquilized and a couple of extractions sedated and that was it. Never went back. This has somehow worsened to the point where just reading a few posts here and writing this has me on the verge of a panic attack.

Now I'm at the point where my teeth are so bad eating is becoming difficult. Even that wasn't enough of a motivator, but now I have pain and swelling that are so far above the gum line it's practically in my sinus, I fear this is a sign of a deep infection. Hyperventilating and passing out in the chair be damned, I have to take care of this. Of course on top of the terror is a profound shame that my teeth are so bad.

I live in North NJ and plan to start with some of the doctors recommended on this forum.

I am absolutely terrified.

Hi Citius,

well congratulations on taking the 1st steps of you dental journey!!! And im glad you have found this website because it helps so so so so so much. Honestly if i had not found this website i would not have stepped foot inside a dental surgary. The people on here are so helpful and supportive and i couldnt have done it without them.

At first I was like you too, i came on here reading stories and it actually made me feel sick, to think about going to the dentist but since joining here I made my 1st appointment and 2 weeks ago I had a filling!!! to loads of people a filling is nothing but to me that is a big big deal and I still cant belive ive done it! I still have work that needs to be done but i know im going to be able to go through with it because everyone on here will help me! and they will help you too!

I was convinced on my first appointment id loose all my teeth but turns out i need to extractions and one filing which ive had!

So it may be a while till you can even pick up the phone to make an appointment and to find a dentist your comfortable with. But stick with it and keep on coming on here and talking to people and you will be able to do it!

Youve made the first step you just need to keep on going! :jump: it will be so worth it when you do!

Ice-princess:thumbsup:

:welcome:

I'm new here, too, but this site has helped me find the courage to get on with things, as scary as they are.

Like Ice said, you've made the first step. The second will be picking up the phone and making that first call. It's amazing how many people here have gone through exactly what you are facing, isn't it? The success stories are numerous and inspiring.

Infection isn't something to fool around with, as you obviously know. It's important that you be seen as soon as you can muster the strength. There are many here that can help you with that. You can PM me or post here of your concerns. I hate to see others struggling the way I did for so long.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your success story!
:grouphug:

Thanks for the kind replies.

My problem had developed into a full blown infection of the maxillary sinus. My cheek blew up like a balloon. I saw my GP (never had a problem with any doctor other than the dentist) who has put me on Augmentin. He's counseled that the route for this infection is very probably through a rotted tooth below that cheek and is pushing me to get going with dental treatment.

So I'm going to take a look at practices in my area that specialize in sedation dentistry since I assume they are most experienced dealing with dental phobics. My doc also gave me a prescription for Valium, told me to take it even if I needed to stay calm just looking for a dentist. Good guy.

Thing is, seeing my regular doc to treat this takes away a bit of the urgency that was motivating me - I have to figure out how to maintain momentum and follow through on making an appointment.

Rob

Hi, Rob ~

I know exactly what you mean about the momentum thing, and stalling out because you've gotten a temporary fix from your doctor. Who sounds like a good one, btw!

Was he able to recommend a dentist?

Here's a suggestion for you: Call three dentist's offices today. More if you can muster it. Write down your impressions for each office. Ask them if they cater to phobic patients and offer sedation dentistry. Pay attention to their replies and how you feel about them.

Then report those impressions back here.

If none of them make you feel like pursuing with that office, call three more tomorrow. Wash, rinse, repeat until you find at least one dentist you're interested in visiting in person.

Reporting your progress here will give you something to be accountable to, even if it's just a bunch of faceless screen names. These names have been where you are and we DO care.

Hi Citius

You have made a huge step in posting here because you have acknowledged your fear; which means you have begun to conquer it. The terror you feel is what we all feel and we all care and understand. The more you read the posts and post yourself the better it gets.

Be proud of yourself for making the first step and contact a dentist tomorrow, go and see them and if it's not 100% right for you try another one. Can someone help you with the research and call them for you? My husband did this for me.

Try and see yourself with a nice smile and no pain - isn't that a wonderful feeling.

Good luck on your journey and don't beat yourself if it takes you time to get there. I first tried to go to the dentist in October 08, it took until May 09 to have the treatment and I wish I hadn't tortured myself for so long.

Good luck

Hi citius
Just wanted to agree with the great advice above to look at 3 dentists a day and start there. Also just wanted to add that the relief that you are already feeling from seeing your GP well, it will be so much better once you have seen a dentist. I can't believe the amount of stress and anxiety that has gone out of my life since I made the step just over a month ago. Best of luck to you!

Hi Citius:

You are doing one of the best things you can do. I know this first step of calling the dentist must take every ounce of your courage. I salute you for taking this step.

If you have never experienced anxiety or fear then it is almost impossible to understand what you are going through. I can promise you that it will get better.

You are going to improve your life in ways you cannot even imagine. Facing fear is one of the most difficult things you can do but is a testament to your personal power.

You will be successful, just keep going forward. Soon you will be free of pain and have a smile you could scarcely believe possible.

You are about to end the nightmare of fear and pain. You self confidence and self esteem will rise by enormous amounts.

Everyone here will be your cheerleaders and support as many have been exactly where you are at now. If I can do anything to help, please let me know.

Blessings and peace to you. :)

Back