• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trying to move forward

  • Thread starter Thread starter coolion65
  • Start date Start date
C

coolion65

Junior member
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
6
Location
Spain
Well I've been a member here a while but also mainly lurking. I have posted before, but I do not remember where.

I'm 26, in Spain, with Periodontitis. My condition was diagnosed 2 years before, where I was told I needed deep cleaning, and numbers ranging from 4-6 I believe.

I *think* my last dental trip before was 8-10 years before. The dentist I saw 2 years ago seemed to be the most uncaring, ignorant and rudest non-professional 'professional' dentist. Telling me my teeth were the worst he'd ever seen in his entire life, I think if he says that he's either incompetent or has zero real experience (He treated my father, who has partials - I have all mine).

There's no real excuse for me, I was diagnosed with autism age 11, also being the same time my father flipped. From then on till about age 19, I received just about every kind of physical, verbal, and mental abuse a person can cope with, both from my father and other kids at school (99% of those at that). I became severely depressed and withdrawn, stopped looking after myself, smoking, and eventually a mixed bag of substance abuse.

I just didn't care, didn't want to live - I hated my life, my parents, and myself. I did visit an nhs dentist at 23, who told me I simply had gingivitis and to get a cleaning. After 6 months of waiting I gave up, since then my dental hygiene has been super sporadic.

My 2 top canines look incredibly messed up, they're twice the width of anyone's I know, chunky/fat and very odd looking. I have recession mostly on molars/premolars. As of 2 years ago I also needed 9 fillings.

It didn't help that when I asked my family for advice that my Mother said the dentist was trying to scam me.

I am now going to try a combination of 2 products, Periogen and Orawellness to try and do some damage control - alongside thrice daily supplementation of Ubiquinol, daily oil pulling.

My situation seems hopeless, but I want 2012 to be the year I make a change. But dentists are a big no-no, I can't do it - especially since I have large tartar deposits again, I don't fancy paying someone to verbally abuse me again.

As for choice, there's not much. I cannot travel because of working, and there is only this local dentist.

Sorry for the long drivel, I'm just so anxious.
 
As for choice, there's not much. I cannot travel because of working, and there is only this local dentist.
.

I would advise you to take time off work (use your annual leave if necessary) and find a dentist you are comfortable with. If gums are the issue then maybe a periodontist in the nearest large town would be a good idea. Whereabouts are you in Spain, which towns are nearest?

Many people travel for the right dentist rather than put up with a bad rude one and in fact it is the best thing to do for your mental health as well as your dental health. Of course you can travel...if it is important to you to get the empathetic care you need. Don't use the added expense and inconvenience as an excuse to get no care whatsoever.
 
I would advise you to take time off work (use your annual leave if necessary) and find a dentist you are comfortable with. If gums are the issue then maybe a periodontist in the nearest large town would be a good idea. Whereabouts are you in Spain, which towns are nearest?

Many people travel for the right dentist rather than put up with a bad rude one and in fact it is the best thing to do for your mental health as well as your dental health. Of course you can travel...if it is important to you to get the empathetic care you need. Don't use the added expense and inconvenience as an excuse to get no care whatsoever.

I do agree with everything you said. Money is not a factor at the moment, I can probably afford the necessary work - 2 years ago I had much less and was unemployed, so that has changed.

I will probably eventually go back to the same practice. The irony for me was that it was recommended by my Father as being very supportive and friendly, and that they really tried to save your teeth. I do not know who my father saw, but my mother went and saw a lady dentist there - who she claimed was wonderful.

My mother went originally with a cracked molar, initially seeing a male dentist who told her that the tooth would be fine and recommended Sensodyne. Days later the tooth became infected, my mother returned and saw the female dentist with the end result being a root canal and crown to save the tooth. I suspect the male dentist was the same I saw.

My only apprehension about seeing the lady dentist is that she does not speak English at all, and though the receptionist would translate, my case is more complex than that of my mother.

Recently my main struggle is in accepting the fact that I will still have poor appearance of my teeth, even if I get all the work done.

By using the products mentioned earlier, even if it is only a placebo effect, I believe it'll give me better confidence to face the dentist again and go through with treatment.

I'm pretty near to Alicante, less than 30 mins away by car.
 
[broken link removed] Looks promising. Options for cheaper care given by supervised training periodontists.

Try googling periodontist or dentist Alicante some more. If you had diagnosed periodontitis 2 years ago, I am sure your best chance of long -term dental health is with a reputable periodontist, not the local dentist.
 
Back
Top