• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trying to Muster up the Courage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tee_bird
  • Start date Start date
Tee_bird

Tee_bird

Junior member
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
4
First off, I'm incredibly thankful I found this site. I can't believe there are so many people specifically scared of the same thing I am. Definitely makes me feel like I can do it already.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting here is because I've been absolutely terrified of dentists (and doctors for that matter) since I was really young. I even get nervous before just getting a cleaning.

I know the biggest factor in all of this is fear of pain. I've always been pretty pain intolerant, especially if it's something I can't stop. (The pain caused by hot foods is the exception, hehe) I've been wanting to go to the dentist for a while now, since it's been at least four years since my last visit when I got some fillings (which admittedly wasn't bad aside from the extremely painful shots in my mouth) I have a wisdom tooth that's halfway out, I need braces (I'm 22... which is embarrassing) since my teeth are crooked and I have two "fang like" teeth growing above the others on gums. Not to mention the cavaties. I'm a mess!

Anyone have encouraging words? Maybe a dentist recommendation in the central Missouri area?

Thanks for reading!

PS: I've been shaking just reading through this site. Mostly because I'm imagining going to the dentist. :-[
 
And here is an image of what we're dealing with here. Don't mind my terrible face, it was pretty late and my make up made it appear I have a black eye. :)

Yes, I occasionally try to smile like I have good teeth because it feels better (but some times I can't stand it). I can't wait until I can smile and have GOOD TEETH!
 

Attachments

  • 77033_1687268703817_1300650004_1809169_7170899_n.jpg
    77033_1687268703817_1300650004_1809169_7170899_n.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 26
:welcome:
Fear of pain, well share that one but there doesn't have to be any with modern dental techniques.

Extremely painful shots? Better try a different dentist this time then, they do not have to be painful at all but painfree shots can't be done in a rush:


It's true it's all in the technique....with a conventional syringe.

so why not ask friends if their dentist does comfortable shots and go from there?

Best wishes:grouphug:
 
Thanks, brit!

My last dentist wasn't so great. Not only did he not wait enough for the topical anesthetic to set in, he quickly injected my mouth. Not to mention I have a very small mouth, and he had the biggest fingers I've ever seen. NOT DENTIST FINGERS! :giggle:
 
Back
Top