J
JuliaS
Junior member
- Joined
- Nov 16, 2010
- Messages
- 2
Hi all,
Just found this site and am amazed that there are so many people like me! I thought I was almost alone in having dental problems which impact (sorry for the pun) on practically every aspect of my life. I go to sleep worrying about my teeth, wake up worrying about them and you know when people say that men think about sex every twenty seconds, well, bully for them, I think about my teeth every ten seconds.........
I was very, very lucky in having perfectly straight, white teeth as a child. I breezed through twice yearly dental appointments - never having a filling or braces or any kind of treatment apart from a scale and polish every two years or so.
All this changed when I moved from my hometown at the age of 18 and went to a new dentist. Despite never having had a filling or indeed any pain whatsoever in my teeth, this new dentist gave me EIGHT fillings during my first appointment with him. I trusted him, as one does at the age of 18 - you think that any medical professionals are demi Gods, however I was bewildered by these huge, dark fillings and so I contacted my former dentist who had looked after me since I was a child and asked him if it was possible for my teeth to have deteriorated so rapidly in the six months since my last appointment with him when he told me that my teeth were perfect. My old dentist hummed and hahed - no-one wants to criticise a fellow professional, but when pushed he said it was unlikely that my teeth could have deteriorated to such an extent.
Over the next couple of years, I managed to avoid the dentist, but when my wisdom teeth started coming through, I was forced to go to the dentist again. He pulled my two top wisdom teeth, shattering one in the process.
Since that experience (16 years ago) I have not been to the dentist. Most of the eight fillings which I was given have dropped out and bits of my teeth have snapped off.
I am absolutely terrified of going to the dentist again. I have also developed a terrible gag reflex over the last few years, and can not imagine that anyone could make me keep my mouth open long enough to treat my teeth.
I sometimes think I'd be better off just driving my car into the central reservation of the motorway rather than having to endure the humiliation of running out of a dentist's surgery, sobbing because I've been told that my teeth are so bad that they are untreatable. The worst thing so far is that on Saturday, the second to back molar came out completely and I don't know what on earth to do.
Any words of wisdom (another bloody pun - sorry) would be very much appreciated. I am at my wits end. My marriage broke down because of my dental phobia - my husband said that he was embarrassed to be seen with me because of my awful teeth. Even that didn't push me enough to go to the dentist.
Thanks for listening.
Just found this site and am amazed that there are so many people like me! I thought I was almost alone in having dental problems which impact (sorry for the pun) on practically every aspect of my life. I go to sleep worrying about my teeth, wake up worrying about them and you know when people say that men think about sex every twenty seconds, well, bully for them, I think about my teeth every ten seconds.........
I was very, very lucky in having perfectly straight, white teeth as a child. I breezed through twice yearly dental appointments - never having a filling or braces or any kind of treatment apart from a scale and polish every two years or so.
All this changed when I moved from my hometown at the age of 18 and went to a new dentist. Despite never having had a filling or indeed any pain whatsoever in my teeth, this new dentist gave me EIGHT fillings during my first appointment with him. I trusted him, as one does at the age of 18 - you think that any medical professionals are demi Gods, however I was bewildered by these huge, dark fillings and so I contacted my former dentist who had looked after me since I was a child and asked him if it was possible for my teeth to have deteriorated so rapidly in the six months since my last appointment with him when he told me that my teeth were perfect. My old dentist hummed and hahed - no-one wants to criticise a fellow professional, but when pushed he said it was unlikely that my teeth could have deteriorated to such an extent.
Over the next couple of years, I managed to avoid the dentist, but when my wisdom teeth started coming through, I was forced to go to the dentist again. He pulled my two top wisdom teeth, shattering one in the process.
Since that experience (16 years ago) I have not been to the dentist. Most of the eight fillings which I was given have dropped out and bits of my teeth have snapped off.
I am absolutely terrified of going to the dentist again. I have also developed a terrible gag reflex over the last few years, and can not imagine that anyone could make me keep my mouth open long enough to treat my teeth.
I sometimes think I'd be better off just driving my car into the central reservation of the motorway rather than having to endure the humiliation of running out of a dentist's surgery, sobbing because I've been told that my teeth are so bad that they are untreatable. The worst thing so far is that on Saturday, the second to back molar came out completely and I don't know what on earth to do.
Any words of wisdom (another bloody pun - sorry) would be very much appreciated. I am at my wits end. My marriage broke down because of my dental phobia - my husband said that he was embarrassed to be seen with me because of my awful teeth. Even that didn't push me enough to go to the dentist.
Thanks for listening.
![Hugging [smiley=hugging.gif] [smiley=hugging.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/hugging.gif)
,
. As to your husband leaving you because he was embarrassed to be seen with you - sorry, I don't want to sound harsh, but I was thinking to myself "good riddance". You really deserve much better 
![Jumping [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/jumping.gif)
. You are brave and you are 'together.' You came here and admitted you have a fear. Be proud of yourself. That is the first step. I still cannot get past the bad dental experience I had as a child. I still remember his name. But I know now not all dentists are like that. It is hard to trust but when you find the right dentist you will be amazed how much easier it is. Finding that perfect dentist is not easy but you can do it. Believe me I know. If you do not like one move onto the next. You deserve to be comfortable and at ease with them and get the best care. There is nothing wrong with checking out multiple dentists and 'interviewing' them so to speak. Sometimes writing down our thoughts and fears to people that understand is freeing. You are not alone. Please keep me updated on your progress. I am here should you need me.