• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Urgent advice needed. Please?

L

Lily78783

I’m 16 years old. 2 and a half years ago, my permanent first molar rotted and broke off at the gum line due to an untreated cavity. Only 2/3 of the edges/sides of the tooth remain but everything else was broken off. You can only see black gums/rot. It hasn’t caused me any problems or pain since 2 years. It hurts occasionally when I eat something extremely cold or something but never causes me significant problems.

Can anything be done to save the tooth? Root canal treatment and crown? I don’t think that will be possible as nothing really remains of the tooth. It makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed that I have to lose such a significant tooth at such a young age. I’m only 16. It’s my permanent first molar.

I think the only option would be extraction. I really don’t want to have to lose my molar... If I do, I don’t want to get an implant/bridge/denture or anything like that. It doesn’t sit right for me. It’s not something I wish to have. I wish I could save my natural tooth.

Has anyone got one of their permanent first molar teeth extracted? It’s my bottom one. Has anyone not replaced it? I would rather live without replacing it. Has it caused you any problems?

The only way I can see myself getting an implant is if I can get everything done on the same day. I’d rather get my tooth extracted, add an implant and crown and be all done. Is that possible? I’m so scared.

I’ve had dental phobia from childhood and haven’t gone for 6 years. I even had to be on laughing gas for a simple cavity. Please help? Any advice would be appreciated

Unfortunately, if there is not enough of the crown to place a new crown, then it would be hard to save that tooth. I had my 1st bottom molar extracted many years ago (probably 15-ish years ago), and while I didn't think that it would cause any problems, it affected my bite, and has caused other problems through the past 5-7 years. If you cant get an implant, and don't want to get a bridge, I would seriously consider getting a "flipper" which is like a retainer with one tooth on it. This would fill in the gap, prevent your other teeth from shifting, and causing further issues in the future until you are ready to get a more permanent solution. I wish you the best of luck!

Lily,

I would get a few opinions before you extract. years ago I extracted a molar because I thought there was no hope , there was about 1/3 of it left. Well now , years later, I have seen my previus and current dentist build a viable good crown for me out of VERY little tooth with build up . Its amazing what a good dentist who tries might be able to do. Some may not have the energy or experience but others may... just my opinion but I would try...

Lily,

I would get a few opinions before you extract. years ago I extracted a molar because I thought there was no hope , there was about 1/3 of it left. Well now , years later, I have seen my previus and current dentist build a viable good crown for me out of VERY little tooth with build up . Its amazing what a good dentist who tries might be able to do. Some may not have the energy or experience but others may... just my opinion but I would try...

Thank you. I really don’t think my tooth can be saved as there is basically no tooth, only the sides..

Dear Lily :welcome:,

it is hard to say whether the tooth can be saved or not and the best might be to see a nice dentist to discuss your options. I understand the embarrassment you feel about possibly losing a tooth in such a young age, but there really is no need to feel this way. You haven‘t done anything wrong and such things sadly happen to people who are afraid of the dentist. First molars are the first permanent teeth that erupt so from all permanent teeth this one belongs to those that have been with you for the longest time. The most people need some work on their first molars for this reason. Now your young age might be an advantage in this case and maybe your dentist can offer you a solution such as closing the gap with braces or maybe the gap would even have a chance to close on its own (a bit of guessing here, not a dentist)

Last but not least, very well done on seeking help here on the forum and also for thinking of seeing a dentist. I am very confident that you can, in this way, not only find a solution for that tooth but also make sure to protect your other teeth. I am also sure that you will be able to find a kind caring dentist in London.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Lily, you might be surprised. I’m not a dentist, so I don’t know, but I lost a filling 7 years ago. 6.5 years later, the tooth cracked. I was terrified and it took me about 6 months to build up the courage to call. He saved it with a filling. Not even a crown. I had myself with a root canal and crown. I would definitely get a few opinions as scary as that sounds. There are more experienced dentists than others. Not saying it can be saved but our minds can go to some dark places when we are afraid.

Back