• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Urgent help/advice needed

R

Rawbiz

Hi everyone,

I have been suffering with my bad teeth for quite a while now and this week it got worse. 2 days ago my bottom-left molar started to swell, or rather the area next to/below it. Today the swelling underneath the tooth itself is swelled up badly but not yet recognizable. Since it is a dead tooth it does not hurt at all.

Now to the question, because of time and money and other factors I am unable to go to the dentist before Monday next week. Will I be OK? Could it cause any major problems for me?

Also I do use mouth wash to try and clear it (I have a gum boil on the tooth as well but the amount of stuff coming out of it is insignificant) and I also heard that I could try and take over the counter meds like garlic capsules (because of the allicin within it).

Anything else as an advice?

Hi, if there is significant swelling and/or pain then antibiotics would be more appropriate than mouthwash or garlic. You could get these from a GP or from A&E if it's an emergency. I hope you'll be able to find someone who can help you soon :). If you need any help with finding a caring dentist, please feel free to ask in our support section for help!

Hi, if there is significant swelling and/or pain then antibiotics would be more appropriate than mouthwash or garlic. You could get these from a GP or from A&E if it's an emergency. I hope you'll be able to find someone who can help you soon :). If you need any help with finding a caring dentist, please feel free to ask in our support section for help!

No pain, only when I try to eat because of the swelling itself. The swelling is barely visible but I can feel it straining.

I tried to get another appointment for today, if not - will I be OK until Monday?

Hi everyone,

I have been suffering with my bad teeth for quite a while now and this week it got worse. 2 days ago my bottom-left molar started to swell, or rather the area next to/below it. Today the swelling underneath the tooth itself is swelled up badly but not yet recognizable. Since it is a dead tooth it does not hurt at all.

Now to the question, because of time and money and other factors I am unable to go to the dentist before Monday next week. Will I be OK? Could it cause any major problems for me?

Also I do use mouth wash to try and clear it (I have a gum boil on the tooth as well but the amount of stuff coming out of it is insignificant) and I also heard that I could try and take over the counter meds like garlic capsules (because of the allicin within it).

Anything else as an advice?

Hello Rawbiz,

I am sorry to hear your tooth hurts.
I had an extraction 3 weeks ago of an upper molar wizzie which had a filling, then during the years (5) i couldn `t go to a dentist I had no insurance, just started recently. So the tooth was dead, pieces broke twice.
I had an abscess twice I remember and once when a piece came out of it, it was bleeding, but I rinsed with warm salty water ( as the Listerine was a bit was irritating a bit) that`s what they gave me after the extraction.
So when that tooth was hurting me and that piece fell out i couldn`t go right away to the doctor though there was no abscess or soemthing, it was bleeding, just took and Advil when it hurted so much and rinsing with salty warm water ( 1 glass with 1 teaspoon of salt, not to much as it can burn your mouth) .
You can try to put a wet green tea filter on it, I mean just bite on it gently.
Some people say to bite on a garlic is good too, but it can burn the area. I am not sure I would try it, but the juice of the garlic is definitely good, strong anti-inflammatory.
If the swelling doesn`t change drasticly or you don`t feel that much of a pain I guess you will be fine to go to the dentist next Monday.
I am not a dentist, if you see something is getting worse you should go to the dentist ASAP like swollen face or big pain.
Do you still have the whole tooth there or it`s broken?

In all likelihood yes - shouldn't be a problem to wait until Monday. In case it should suddenly get very bad, you can always go to A&E/ER to get antibiotics.

Hello Rawbiz,

I am sorry to hear your tooth hurts.
I had an extraction 3 weeks ago of an upper molar wizzie which had a filling, then during the years (5) i couldn `t go to a dentist I had no insurance, just started recently. So the tooth was dead, pieces broke twice.
I had an abscess twice I remember and once when a piece came out of it, it was bleeding, but I rinsed with warm salty water ( as the Listerine was a bit was irritating a bit) that`s what they gave me after the extraction.
So when that tooth was hurting me and that piece fell out i couldn`t go right away to the doctor though there was no abscess or soemthing, it was bleeding, just took and Advil when it hurted so much and rinsing with salty warm water ( 1 glass with 1 teaspoon of salt, not to much as it can burn your mouth) .
You can try to put a wet green tea filter on it, I mean just bite on it gently.
Some people say to bite on a garlic is good too, but it can burn the area. I am not sure I would try it, but the juice of the garlic is definitely good, strong anti-inflammatory.
If the swelling doesn`t change drasticly or you don`t feel that much of a pain I guess you will be fine to go to the dentist next Monday.
I am not a dentist, if you see something is getting worse you should go to the dentist ASAP like swollen face or big pain.
Do you still have the whole tooth there or it`s broken?

The tooth itself is broken to the gum-line. I have had no pain with it for quite some time now so rinsing with antibacterials like listerine is no problem - I keep doing that 2-3 times per day. I guess I will also start with the salt water as well today and see how it goes if I don't get an appointment.

Thx for the helps.

Mine was broken at the gum line too, I mean I had 3 chunks stayed visible, 1 very tiny, it was like a hard gum, the other pieces were bigger.It was like this in July when and I went to the dentist in October I was ok as the tooth was dead, but i was really really in the last time to get it extracted even though it took not even 5 mins to take out the tooth in 3 parts as the tooth had 3 roots, bit there was no drilling and so on it came out easily.

Actually I didn`t use Listerine only when it was bleeding, when it healed I used it again.

Hi,

Just thought I would update some about my appointment I had about an hour ago. I am still in shock.

The doc told me that I have a really bad infection and gave me antibiotics, so far so good.

Then they had a CT scan, the doc looked at it for a while and told me the devastating news. He cant help! I will have to either go to the hospital or find a private place that removes it with surgery/general anesthesia. They will remove 12 of my teeth (sick...) and then I will have to heal for 3 or so months and then start work on the other teeth/get implants.

I always thought and read that if a tooth is broken to the gum line it is really easy to pull it out...?? Now they say I will need to be put under? Horrible stuff..

Also, I was prescribed with Augmentin Duo 1000mg antibiotics, I am not allergic just precautios. How safe is Augmentin Duo? I usually dont take any antibiotics, last time was like 2 or so years ago.

Thanks for anyones help in advance.

P.S.: Nurse told me she had never ever in her life seen anyone being so scared of the dentist then me.

Hi,

Just thought I would update some about my appointment I had about an hour ago. I am still in shock.

The doc told me that I have a really bad infection and gave me antibiotics, so far so good.

Then they had a CT scan, the doc looked at it for a while and told me the devastating news. He cant help! I will have to either go to the hospital or find a private place that removes it with surgery/general anesthesia. They will remove 12 of my teeth (sick...) and then I will have to heal for 3 or so months and then start work on the other teeth/get implants.

I always thought and read that if a tooth is broken to the gum line it is really easy to pull it out...?? Now they say I will need to be put under? Horrible stuff..

Also, I was prescribed with Augmentin Duo 1000mg antibiotics, I am not allergic just precautios. How safe is Augmentin Duo? I usually dont take any antibiotics, last time was like 2 or so years ago.

Thanks for anyones help in advance.

P.S.: Nurse told me she had never ever in her life seen anyone being so scared of the dentist then me.

Hi Rawbiz,

I am really sorry to hear about the bad news.
I guess it depends how is the tooth broken at the gum line.
I can`t believe they want to pull out 12 of your teeth becasue of one. They question is how the other 11 of them are. What the assistant said is really rude.Everybody would have reacted after telling you to 12 teeth need to be taken out. How was the dentist?Was he ok?Did he tell you why the 12 teeth need to be extracted?
12 teeth are not only one.
Can you get a copy of the CT scan from them and show it to another dentist?
But it looks like it`s urgent as they prescribed Augmentin Duo. I remember taking Augmentin Duo 10 years ago I had a very bad virus affected my lungs. It is a very strong drug, but it really helps though check the side effects. I am not sure but I think I was not able to drive with it anyway I was so sick I needed to stay in bed, but it worked. I took it for 2 weeks. If you google Augmentin Duo NHS website will tell you everything about it.

But how is your tooth? Is it hurting more than last week?Did the dentist show you on the Ct scan where he can see the infection?
Maybe I am too suspecious, but I had a dentist recently who extracted my upper molar a month ago and I have something infected in my gum maybe a root or root tip left behind.
I went to see her for a consultation, she said she sees nothing, but the area is still piping hot sometimes, my ear is clogged, sometimes have earache and on the side of the gum have something red and inflammed , difficulty of swallowing. I had a cold, so the GP gave me some penicillin, it`s a bit better, but I get it checked with an oral suregon. When I went to my dentist 3 weeks after the extraction she wanted to do a root canal on another tooth when I told her I have difficulty to swallow.
That`s how she is caring fro her patient, she wants just the money. People have private insurance here so it`s a business.
I think it`s important how your dentist is, very very important, but your case is urgent so I don`t know what would really do in your situation. If I had time I would go to a good oral surgeon.

I hope everything will be better for you very soon.

Take care

Judit

A small update, the antibiotics seems to be working. My face is still swollen but it has reduced much from last week. I am scheduled for a meeting with an oral surgeon next week for my appointment and to arrange the needed stuff for the surgery itself (blood-work, etc.).

There was no question about my teeth, I knew what I was expecting.. I have had an accident about 10 years ago where my teeth got hurt and after several REALLY bad experiences with cruel dentists who didn't care at all about my condition I told myself that I wont care anymore and I simply stopped. This has lead to teeth breaking off more and more and now my back 12 teeth are almost gone. I have finally decided it is time to fix this, I am really young and have every opportunity ahead of my. So tired of living with constant pain 24/7, I want to get it done and want all of them pulled (this needs to be done as well).

I didnt really listen so good about what the doc said and I haven't looked at the CT scan video because it will be horrible, but I remember him saying that I have minor inflammations in all of my back teeth more or less.

Another question for someone who has gone through with anything similar:
If I have no back teeth, molars, left will I still be able to get removable or some kind of permanent dentures? I am not talking about implants since I have more or less talked myself out of it, not worth the time/money/pain overall.

Really appreciate everyone's help so far!

Dear Rawbiz,

Glad your antibiotics are working.
Oh,I am really sorry, I didn`t know that there was another reason why the 12 teeth need to be pulled out.
I didn`t know that so sorry for bugging you with advices to ask other dentists to make sure the action is really needed.
Augmentin is a very effective.
Yes, you are very brave to make your decision. Absolutely right, you can`t live with constant pain 24/7.

Good luck and take care
Judit

Back