• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very scared about gum recession

E

emilykk

Growing up, my mum never took me to a dentist and she didn't really enforce me brushing my teeth etc. I have a really crowded mouth and I've not been to the dentist since I was 18. I took myself but got really freaked out. I'm 25 now. I have a history of Bulimia, but I've stopped now.

I have tartar behind the front four teeth, and I've noiced a shift there. I woke up the other week and my gum was bleeding, and my dentist prescribed amoxicillin, which has made it stop hurting as much - he thinks that a bash I had in the mouth when I was 18 may have made an abcess under my tooth.

Today though, I have noticed a black triangle between my lower front tooth and the tooth next to it - I'm worried it's gum recession or a broken tooth, and I've been having pain in my lower jaw. I don't bleed on brushing anymore, and I've amped up my routine - brushing with a soft brush, colgate toothpaste and chlorhexidine mouthwash with gengigel after I eat - before this I was using a whitening toothpaste and all of this really got a bit more stressful, so I don't use it anymore. I noticed today as well that the gum on another front tooth seems a little bit shorter than it was, but I know I may well be overthinking! I have wisdom teeth pain as well, and my front two teeth seem to be pushing together and causing a bit of pain. Why me!

I'm so anxious that all my teeth are going to fall out - my mum has very unlucky teeth genetics and I have a crowded mouth. I'm trying to get in with a dentist but obviously corona has got in my way. Please don't judge me. I was unable to afford the NHS charges and only now am able to :(

Attachments

• why meeee.jpg
    why meeee.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 45
Hi emilykk and welcome on the forum. First of all, please remember that what is in your past as already happened and we can’t change the past. Looking forward, it’s great to see that you are willing to go and get help with fixing your teeth. The corona situation helps you take things slower.

Does your teeth feel wobbly? Teeth are strongly hold in our mouths, so it would take a lot for them to fall out.

I hope you can stay strong while going through this corona and will be able to start your journey to feel better regarding your teeth.

Hi emilykk and welcome on the forum. First of all, please remember that what is in your past as already happened and we can’t change the past. Looking forward, it’s great to see that you are willing to go and get help with fixing your teeth. The corona situation helps you take things slower.

Does your teeth feel wobbly? Teeth are strongly hold in our mouths, so it would take a lot for them to fall out.

I hope you can stay strong while going through this corona and will be able to start your journey to feel better regarding your teeth.

Thank you so much for your reply!! That's true. I just feel so bad about all of it.

I'm not sure that they feel wobbly. I've pushed on them with my finger and nothing has moved, which I feel is hopeful? But sometimes one of the bigger ones kind of clicks? Sometimes my teeth shift though so I hope it's that haha.

Thank you so much, this was so kind of you <3

Hi emikykk,

I can tell how concerned you are about this. Firstly, there’s no judgement here- you’ve come to the right place!

As geos said, you’re doing the right thing tending to this now and indeed, the past is in the past. Let’s focus on the present and getting things back under control.

Thanks for the photo, it’s helpful and I can see that the gums look quite red and irritated around the front lower teeth. Continue to do what you can with to brushing and big tip- it’s fine if it bleeds. In fact, if it’s not bleeding you need to brush even more into this area. The redness is the gums natural reaction to plaque (bacteria). The more effectively you brush the more you’ll be able to improve things- both before and after a professional clean with the dentist/ hygienist.

There’s no doubt it will need a good professional clean and it’s important to warn you that although the gums don’t look excessively receded, it is likely that after they are treated (and they are healthier) that the gums will recede a little. This will actually be a good sign as the swelling and irritation will settle and the gums will look more pale, pink and tighter on the teeth.

The great thing is that they’re not mobile. This essentially means that this can be treated and stabilised with an initial course of treatment. Longer term, provided you continue your regular dental care with the same commitment you’re showing currently, then the outlook is decent. Maintaining gum health does require regular visits long term but once you’re into the routine of it it’s all even easier.

I appreciate the coronavirus is a barrier but you’re doing the right thing. Keep an eye on any progress in access to dental treatment in your area and be ready to get in as soon as you reasonably can.

Hope this is of some help.

All the best,
Niall

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate this answer.
I'm scared to brush them to the point that they bleed!! I'll give that a go tonight though, so here's hoping!!

Wonderful, thank you for the heads up! I don't mind recession if it means that they're healthier, but I've been terrified that they're receded too much already so I'm pleased that it's okay.

Thank you so much!! Fingers crossed that things are good!!

You’re very welcome!

I’m very worried now. I brushed my teeth earlier and the gum was pulling back, like a flap. Not really sure what to do. No pain or anything!

Hi emilykk,

I know that can be a bit frightening but it’s just a sign of the same process. The inflammation (irritation) causes the gums to swell above the level where they are attached. This is what gives the impression of a flap.

Continue to do what you’re doing in relation to effective brushing, cleaning between the teeth and chlorhexidine mouthwash could also be helpful.

Once it is treated that will improve so hopefully you’ll have to opportunity to have it seen to sooner rather than later.

Good news that it’s not uncomfortable though. Hope that helps, any other concerns just shout.

Niall

Hi emilykk,

I know that can be a bit frightening but it’s just a sign of the same process. The inflammation (irritation) causes the gums to swell above the level where they are attached. This is what gives the impression of a flap.

Continue to do what you’re doing in relation to effective brushing, cleaning between the teeth and chlorhexidine mouthwash could also be helpful.

Once it is treated that will improve so hopefully you’ll have to opportunity to have it seen to sooner rather than later.

Good news that it’s not uncomfortable though. Hope that helps, any other concerns just shout.

Niall

Thank you so much!! I am just so nervous that this means my teeth are all going to fall out. It's such a prominant tooth and I am terrified that I'll have to get dentures or something.

Thank you!! I've been using the chlorhexidine mouthwash for a few weeks so hopefully this is helping to keep it at bay until I can see a dentist. Just so scared that I've messed up my teeth beyond repair :cry:

So I'm already having issues with my lower front teeth, but the upper two are being ridiculous as well. My front two teeth kind of cross like a v. They're not over each other, they just go inwards a bit. I was heavily bulimic last year and now I know I have two cavities on the back (where the edges of the teeth meet the other ones).

I noticed in the past few days that the left hand side tooth clicks a bit after I eat. It's not all the time, and I can just feel it click when I swallow. I'm really nervous because I obviously can't see a dentist right now! It just feels like one thing after another :(

Hello everyone. Very scared. The gum under my problem tooth is really sore today, and I can feel shooting pains in the tooth. The gum feels sore too, and I just really really want to see a dentist. I've never been so stressed out in my life

Call 111 and request an emergency appointment. If it's causing you this much distress then it's worth getting somebody to take a quick look at it.
There are dental clinics still available, they'll be designated treatment centres in hospitals or community clinics, just not general dental practices.

Call 111 and request an emergency appointment. If it's causing you this much distress then it's worth getting somebody to take a quick look at it.
There are dental clinics still available, they'll be designated treatment centres in hospitals or community clinics, just not general dental practices.

Thank you Gordon! It's looking like a dental abscess (no clue how!?) so I called my dentist and they're calling me back. Wish me luck!!

Back