• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very worried about sinus communication, Xray Posted-- Please advise

D

DFrazer1989

I need to have tooth #15 which was endodontically treated, removed and I was told that I may have a sinus communication because of this-- meaning a hole in my maxillary sinus.

What I am unclear about, is this INEVITABLE or a possibility? Can anyone give me an idea from looking at the xray?

Thanks so much -- Im VERY nervous about this.

Attachments

• tooth15.jpg
    tooth15.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 26
absolutely a risk but seldom happens.

I had a really awful back molar that was treated with root canal ten years ago and a month before it was extracted. The tooth was close enough that they required an oral surgeon to take it out. There ended up being no communication. They said if there was. It would close up within a few weeks and nothing to worry about.

I need to have tooth #15 which was endodontically treated, removed and I was told that I may have a sinus communication because of this-- meaning a hole in my maxillary sinus.

What I am unclear about, is this INEVITABLE or a possibility? Can anyone give me an idea from looking at the xray?

Thanks so much -- Im VERY nervous about this.

Hi DFrazer1989,

It is quite normal to feel anxious about the possibility of a sinus communication. Based on the x-ray, it does appear the roots of tooth #15 are superimposed on the left maxillary sinus. However, it is quite common to see this, due to the length of the roots on maxillary molars. However, an x-ray is a 2 dimensional image, meaning that the roots could be in front or behind the sinus, but would appear on the x-ray as overlapping.

Therefore, it does not mean that a sinus communication is inevitable, but is always a possibility. Your dentist was right to inform you of this risk, which is usually quite low. However, it is his responsibility to inform you, regardless.

Hope that answers your questions!

Back