• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

waiting for referral in Hampshire dental work under sedation due to anxiety

N

nadineshill

I am writing on behalf of my partner who has been referred for treatment under sedation (July 22nd), its been 4 weeks now and we have had to see three dentists on emergencies because he is having severe tooth pain. So far he has had amoxcillin, metradiazole and also diclofenac sodium for pain. The visit last night was agony, he has a real fear of the dentist and after 5 injections he was still feeling pain when the dentist tried to remove the tooth. In the end we had to leave as he could not tolerate the pain, now hes been sent home on azithromycin and is still in pain.. initially the first dentist put a temporary filling in as he was in a lot of pain and she said the tooth was infected ( without cleaning it out or anything) and prescribed amoxcillin.. 3 days later no better went to a walk in clinic who said the first dentist shouldnt have put a temporary in when there was infection. He gave stronger antibiotic .. then three days later still no relief and the diclofenac he has prescribed was not touching the pain..so we went back there to the walk in clinic yesterday but saw someone different. We told them everything that had happened...what meds he was on etc and my partner said he wanted the tooth gone as he was through the roof in pain.. they gave two numbing injections and attempted tooth extraction, no luck gave two more.. ( meanwhile my partner is in agony and say he is feeling pain) tried again no luck.. gave one more injection still trying again no luck at this point my partner says he cannot take any more.. dentist says he can go home as he is.. his tooth is a bit wonky and the dentist took out the temporary. So now he cannot really eat any movement in his mouth hurts the tooth and we have no idea what to do as he is still in pain. I have bought paracetamol with codeine, hes taken that and is finishing the course of antibiotics first given on Thursday.. Please can someone offer advice or help where can he go to have the sedation done urgently should we go to A and E or our GP? At wits end now..

Thanks for all your help...:cry:

Re: waiting for referral in Hampshire dental work under sedation due to anxiety

Hi.

I'm really sorry you're both going through this. If I was in that much pain and the dentists couldn't do anything, I'd go to the Emergency Room at the hospital.

Maybe they have a different pain killer they can give him and extract the tooth there.

Good luck and keep us updated.

JJ

I am writing on behalf of my partner who has been referred for treatment under sedation (July 22nd), its been 4 weeks now and we have had to see three dentists on emergencies because he is having severe tooth pain. So far he has had amoxcillin, metradiazole and also diclofenac sodium for pain. The visit last night was agony, he has a real fear of the dentist and after 5 injections he was still feeling pain when the dentist tried to remove the tooth. In the end we had to leave as he could not tolerate the pain, now hes been sent home on azithromycin and is still in pain.. initially the first dentist put a temporary filling in as he was in a lot of pain and she said the tooth was infected ( without cleaning it out or anything) and prescribed amoxcillin.. 3 days later no better went to a walk in clinic who said the first dentist shouldnt have put a temporary in when there was infection. He gave stronger antibiotic .. then three days later still no relief and the diclofenac he has prescribed was not touching the pain..so we went back there to the walk in clinic yesterday but saw someone different. We told them everything that had happened...what meds he was on etc and my partner said he wanted the tooth gone as he was through the roof in pain.. they gave two numbing injections and attempted tooth extraction, no luck gave two more.. ( meanwhile my partner is in agony and say he is feeling pain) tried again no luck.. gave one more injection still trying again no luck at this point my partner says he cannot take any more.. dentist says he can go home as he is.. his tooth is a bit wonky and the dentist took out the temporary. So now he cannot really eat any movement in his mouth hurts the tooth and we have no idea what to do as he is still in pain. I have bought paracetamol with codeine, hes taken that and is finishing the course of antibiotics first given on Thursday.. Please can someone offer advice or help where can he go to have the sedation done urgently should we go to A and E or our GP? At wits end now..

Thanks for all your help...:cry:

Hi are there no dentists who can offer sedation dentistry privately? If he is in that much pain then he really needs to be treated ASAP rather than wait for this hospital referral which will take months before he can attend a consultation and then more months on the waiting list before they can initiate treatment.
A+E can't treat your toothache but can prescribe you painkillers only

Last edited:

We got to assessment stage, referral from our dentist to Outram Road Southsea..this has taken 4 weeks. Went to assessment appt and they told us he needs a general anaesthetic and so we have to go back to our dentist and ask for an urgent referral to SGH for this. This is all due to the fact that the sedation was not properly explained to us nor were we told what work needed doing. Now we have been back to our NHS dentist and asked for this they say wait could be 12 weeks... So frustrating. We explained we had waited 4 weeks already for the other appt and also the above problems with pain. Fingers crossed we hear something soon . Thinking abt going to our Gp to get him to do the referral!... Grrrr
Any advice welcome.. Anyone know actual wait terms for GA at SGH ORAL SURGERY??

Your GP is just going to relay you back to your own dentist. Unfortunately, if you want this done on the NHS then you will have to join the queue and you won't be fast-tracked even if you're in pain.

In our area (Staffordshire), waiting times are normally 3 months before they get the initial consultation and then another 3-5 months for the actual treatment.
If he is in pain then he can either do it without sedation or get it done privately.

We got to assessment stage, referral from our dentist to Outram Road Southsea..this has taken 4 weeks. Went to assessment appt and they told us he needs a general anaesthetic and so we have to go back to our dentist and ask for an urgent referral to SGH for this. This is all due to the fact that the sedation was not properly explained to us nor were we told what work needed doing. Now we have been back to our NHS dentist and asked for this they say wait could be 12 weeks... So frustrating. We explained we had waited 4 weeks already for the other appt and also the above problems with pain. Fingers crossed we hear something soon . Thinking abt going to our Gp to get him to do the referral!... Grrrr
Any advice welcome.. Anyone know actual wait terms for GA at SGH ORAL SURGERY??
could you help us all to help you and tell us if you can seek a private consultation?

Back