• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Weighing up Risk, fillings and extraction

T

Thropp

Hello all, I feel silly for posting again so soon and should have added it to my last post. I'm in the UK in London and I have extractions plus two fillings that need doing. Aside from my fear of the extractions (though recent advice on here has helped me in that regard) I'm also worried about Covid and exposure during this time. Would it be silly to wait to have work done? How quickly would fillings turn into a bigger issue? I want to perhaps wait until December to see if things have calmed down but I'm not sure of there's any logic to that. I know dentists and hospitals are doing their very best but with fillings in particular there'll be a drill involved and so I assume a level of risk there? It hard managing the dental fear alone with this added fear on top and i struggle to weigh up what's more detrimental to my health! What would you lovely people do in this situation!?

Hi. Don’t feel silly for positing again soon, everyone on here is in a similar position. I just had an appointment today for a check up and it was all good. The surgery had everything in place to prevent the spread of Covid and I know that the dental professionals alter PPE depending on what’s being done so theyd probably be in a different mask to normal to stop any exposure. This means that you wouldn’t be at risk of contracting or spreading the virus. I’m not however a professional , more so a fearer but wanted to offer some reassurance. The sooner you get it done the sooner all the worry will be over, I try to think of access to dental treatment at this time as a luxury. I’d get it done now if you have the option as who knows where the virus will go, I think if they have offered to do the work it’s because they have the PPE/ can do so. If they couldn’t they wouldn’t give you the option. Hope this helps like I say I’m no professional but I felt rhe same as you incase I needed any work done but after being for a check up today I would say get it done. They’re safe. Take care and good luck, try not to worry. I’m here to chat if you want to

Hi. Don’t feel silly for positing again soon, everyone on here is in a similar position. I just had an appointment today for a check up and it was all good. The surgery had everything in place to prevent the spread of Covid and I know that the dental professionals alter PPE depending on what’s being done so theyd probably be in a different mask to normal to stop any exposure. This means that you wouldn’t be at risk of contracting or spreading the virus. I’m not however a professional , more so a fearer but wanted to offer some reassurance. The sooner you get it done the sooner all the worry will be over, I try to think of access to dental treatment at this time as a luxury. I’d get it done now if you have the option as who knows where the virus will go, I think if they have offered to do the work it’s because they have the PPE/ can do so. If they couldn’t they wouldn’t give you the option. Hope this helps like I say I’m no professional but I felt rhe same as you incase I needed any work done but after being for a check up today I would say get it done. They’re safe. Take care and good luck, try not to worry. I’m here to chat if you want to
Hartington99 thanks so much for your reply, it's always helpful to know other people are doing the same mental gymnastics as me! I don't know how the dentist's themselves cope with the anxiety of it, but then I suppose they know a lot more than me so that likely helps. I'm glad your check up went well and it gave you confidence. And I think you're right, it truly is a luxury at the moment. Kicking myself for not dealing with things sooner but that's hindsight for you! Thanks for the offer of chatting too. I'll make sure to update as and when in the hopes of helps others

I think my mental gymnastics is what landed me with the check up anyway ?? crazy how our minds work! I found this quite useful.
Also the BDA state
“recent update to COVID-19 guidance on the management of health and social care settings and the Test and Trace programme, has clarified the position of dentists with regards patients who are later found to have COVID-19.
We now know that if dentists are providing direct care to a patient with COVID-19 and are wearing the correct PPE in accordance with the current IPC guidance, they are not considered a contact for the purposes of contact tracing and isolation, and are not required to self-isolate for 14 days. “ I took from this that the risk of contracting or spreading the virus to be quite small. Hope this helps . Best of luck x

I think my mental gymnastics is what landed me with the check up anyway ?? crazy how our minds work! I found this quite useful.
Also the BDA state
“recent update to COVID-19 guidance on the management of health and social care settings and the Test and Trace programme, has clarified the position of dentists with regards patients who are later found to have COVID-19.
We now know that if dentists are providing direct care to a patient with COVID-19 and are wearing the correct PPE in accordance with the current IPC guidance, they are not considered a contact for the purposes of contact tracing and isolation, and are not required to self-isolate for 14 days. “ I took from this that the risk of contracting or spreading the virus to be quite small. Hope this helps . Best of luck x
Ah this is so helpful! Thankyou! I'll have a read. Yes I imagine that's what it means and there is obviously a lot more ppe being used and measures in place to try and help. I just need to keep that in mind! I know I can't really leave things like fillings as it simply gets worse but wow do I want to! Honestly thanks so much for taking the time to reply and send info it's hugely reassuring x

No problem at all, it’s great to be able to discuss fears and help eachother at the same time! Take care , look forward to hearing your success story !

Just had my extractions done! And although there was a lot of people in the room (students learning the delights of dentistry!) They had full PPE and temperature checks were done on the way in. I felt safe and it wasn't an awful experience. There's a lot more pressure than you're ever prepared for but none of it hurt me at all. I'm sore and needed sstiches for my baby tooth that still refused to make its own way in the world but aside from that it was a positive experience and I felt that Covid was being taken ultra seriously. Thanks again Hartington99! You were a huge help!

Ah congratulations! That’s fantastic news I hope you’re really proud of yourself! Wow I think the sight of more people in the room would’ve had me running right back out!! So pleased for you, congratulations and take care :)) thank you for updating

Ah congratulations! That’s fantastic news I hope you’re really proud of yourself! Wow I think the sight of more people in the room would’ve had me running right back out!! So pleased for you, congratulations and take care :)) thank you for updating
It didn't help things but I managed to make it through! Thankyou!

Back