• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do I need to know/ask in RE to: Partial Upper and Lower Dentures

S

sugar&spice3

need top and bottom partial dentures. after all is said and done, I'll have 9 teeth removed total. guess it could be worse right? I just want to cry!!!!

I'm having #12, 14, 15, 19 & 17 done soon!! the right side has already had 4 teeth removed (all molars).

what do i need to ask/find out about different options/types of partials to get? thanks for your help/time/advice! :) TELL me everything there is to know PLEASE.

Hi Sugar&Spice -

I think the best place to start would be your dentist. I have a full upper denture and am in the process of having a bottom partial denture made. I've got no molars at all on the bottom, and only 6 front teeth (just had the bottom front left extracted a few weeks ago), my dentist was originally going to go with a "standard" partial - the kind that has just a metal bar the would rest just under and behind the front teeth. But after I needed the front tooth extracted, she has decided that fuller metal partial would be more beneficial for me. It will have a small metal plate the runs behind all 6 front teeth I have left, and will go from the middle of my teeth down to were the gum ridge is. She said it might take me longer to get used to it, and to talk with it, but it will have much better support for my remaining teeth. This is a permanent partial. I've already had the impression done. I will go back on May 14th for my first try in (it will be the metal framework with wax over it). After that there will be 2 more try in appointments. The first will have teeth in it, and she'll note any adjustments that need to be made, then the final try in will be to make sure it fits correctly, and to do a bite adjustment. Then I will get the real partial denture.

Your appointments will probably go somewhat along the same lines. As to the type of partial you'll be getting, ask them if they have one they could show you, so you can get an idea of what to expect. That is the exact question I asked my dentist, and she brought out a model of partial dentures. The showed me the bottom one, and told me I wasn't getting that type (with just the bar in back), she then flipped it over to show me the upper (which had much more metal), and said my bottom would look a lot more like it.

Ask if you'll be getting permanent partials or immediate partials (the immediate partials are also called "flippers", and they go in the day you have your extractions). My dentist seems to never be bothered by all my questions, and I ask a lot of them, because I am one of those people that HATE surprises!! I think that the more you know, the more you understand, and if you understand, you'll have an easier time dealing with things.

I hope this has helped a bit, and given you an idea of what to expect. Please let us know how you make out, or if you have any other questions.

thanks so much. phewww! A lot to take in. Ok so I had 5 teeth taken out almost 2 weeks ago. surprisingly I'm doing ok. The impacted wisdome hole is a pain, literally but I'm dealing. Was suppose to have a cleaning w/the dentist, now that the 'bad' teeth are out and can access them. Yah, I cancelled. Not in the mood to be touched since I'm still sore. I'll go next week instead.

we'll see what they say. any good websites to get a better idea of waht the upper/lower partials look like? and since they left the top left AND right (t0p) wisdom, will they replace the wisdom teeth w/the partial dentures? does my last ? make sense?

Hey Sugar, sorry I haven't checked this section out in a few days so I missed your question.

I just started to google partial dentures, PRD (partial removable dentures), and anything else I could think of, to get an idea of what it'd look like.

You might ask your dentist - but I don't think (but this is my first experience with a partial denture), that they'll replace the wisdom teeth, on my bottom partial there are only 3 molars. You can see my bottom partials in progress by checking out my journal on here in the journal section. It's called: Dental Destiny (or Mysteries of My Mouth). I am trying to record my experiences there, and include pictures of my partial during the process.

I'll see if I can post them here as well, if you don't want to read my journal:
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.

The first step was a visit for the impressions.
The second step (about a week and a half later) was to try in the metal framework.
The third visit (one week later) was to try in the frame with wax- which looked like this-
Bottom Partial 1.2.jpg
The fourth visit (one week later) was to try in the frame with wax and the actual denture teeth -which looked like this-
Bottom Partial 1.3.jpg
The fifth visit (one week later) will be to get my completed permanent partial denture and wear it home!!!!
Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try to help.

Best wishes to you . . .

Back