• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is the difference between public dentist and normal nhs general dentists?

A

A196x

I hope this makes sense, I seen a dentist on the NHS since childhood but lately I’ve become worse with sensory stuff and being Autistic. I was referred to special care dentist who advised switching to public dentist so they can do more and accommodate ie lengthly appointments and dentists that can deal with my issues which normal dentist doesn’t have the time. I liked my dentist I was with, though developed issue with filling last time and this then created a lot of issue, I’m seeing this new public dentist in few weeks but worrying because i’m quite particular. Are they as qualified? More qualified? Because I didn’t like that in public dentist they told me sometimes it won’t be the same dentist I see.
Are they good? Or should I try switch back in future to a normal practice?

Since I was a PDS dentist for over 30 years I'm a bit biased :)

The big difference is the way they're paid. A General Dentist is paid mostly by piece work, do a filling get £10, do an extraction £6 and so on. Out of that has to come all the wages of the staff, most of the running costs of the practice and so on. To be able to make a decent living on the NHS you need to see about 20-30 patients a day.

The PDS dentists are paid a straight salary, doesn't matter how many fillings etc they do per day. This is so that they can spend a bit longer on a patient if necessary without worrying about money pressure.

Since I was a PDS dentist for over 30 years I'm a bit biased :)

The big difference is the way they're paid. A General Dentist is paid mostly by piece work, do a filling get £10, do an extraction £6 and so on. Out of that has to come all the wages of the staff, most of the running costs of the practice and so on. To be able to make a decent living on the NHS you need to see about 20-30 patients a day.

The PDS dentists are paid a straight salary, doesn't matter how many fillings etc they do per day. This is so that they can spend a bit longer on a patient if necessary without worrying about money pressure.
Ah Gordon, I wish you still were! So they’re trained the same (that’s definitely reassuring) and seems more relaxed!

Also Is there a reason in PDS that you don’t get the same dentist? I’ve been told that I won’t have a set dentist which I’m gonna find difficult, they said sometimes I’ll see different dentists! Next week I’m getting put to someone I’ve never met and a bit nervous about this! I’m actually gutted as i’m new to PDS and thought i’d be able to meet who is who :(

Yes, the same dental degree first, the PDS will generally have post graduate training aimed more at the special care side of things, the GDP will tend to focus more on the advanced restorative work and so on.
I don't know why you're not getting the same dentist, it's a bit odd, especially working with somebody on the Autistic spectrum, changing faces is not good.

Yes, the same dental degree first, the PDS will generally have post graduate training aimed more at the special care side of things, the GDP will tend to focus more on the advanced restorative work and so on.
I don't know why you're not getting the same dentist, it's a bit odd, especially working with somebody on the Autistic spectrum, changing faces is not good.
Hey Gordon,

I seen PDS properly for first time today. I mentioned my worries over it being different people and they said that they will keep me with same dentist (not met yet) that today it was emergency so different one. I’m glad but just hope I like them!

No seal and protect today for the pain on biting but fluoride varnish applied to all the teeth and god it takes awful, along with making some teeth sensitive that wasn’t before!

The dentist did mention about next time getting a filling, I said that it’s been a problem in the past she went “not a filling that requires drilling, one that we build up” I’m now worrying as I thought that was s&p but turns out something else? I just don’t know what she means by that! As didn’t know existed! Have you heard of that way or new treatment?

I just don’t know what she means by that! As didn’t know existed! Have you heard of that way or new treatment?
One of the plastic fillings, you can basically glue them into the tooth rather than cut a hole to get them to stick.

@Gordon That does sound better as didn’t like the drilling, I do hope they build it up like she said as I’d struggle with too much of a change if they just dive in😀 Thank you!!

Back