• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Which of the four anesthesia types are best for wisdom tooth removal

N

Nutfig1

Im getting my left lower (non-impacted I think) wisdom tooth removed on August 21st due to a large cavity. It seems that IV sedation is the method of choice for most people, but Ive never had that type of sedation for a dental procedure and am kind of apprehensive about it. Dont get me wrong; I want to be relaxed during the procedure, but the thought of "being in and out of it" doesnt appeal to me especially since I have OCD and anxiety and am an admitted rigid control freak. I know it probably sounds crazy, but if I had to choose just between IV sedation and a local anesthetic I would choose the latter despite having severe anxiety about medical procedures.

Im thinking of taking the oral medication route (preferably with Klonipin) since Ive taken it before and know what to expect. If the dentist recommends IV sedation should I go that route? And if he doesnt generally offer Klonipin as one of the oral medication options do you think he will still allow me to choose it?

My husband is super OCD and a control freak. He had to have all his wisdom teeth extracted at once and the oral surgeon almost always recommends being completely put out under general anesthesia for that, as it is fairly traumatic. My husband refused and did it with local anesthetic along with nitrous oxide (although he did it with the mask, not IV). He said it wasn't bad at all, and even though he was "out of it", he could still know what was going on around him, and respond. He just didn't care about what was going on. Lol

I had conscious sedation for my root canal, as I have a huge fear of dental work. It was just as he described. I was still aware of what was going on, but could respond to the endodontist when she would ask questions. I didn't feel like it was out of my control. The endodontist told me to give a thumbs down if I felt the nitrous was too strong and she would turn it down.

THank you for the reply :)I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming procedure, and I'm strongly leaning towards the oral medication route with Klonopin. Whatever happens I will be sure to let everyone on here know how the procedure goes:)

I have never tried that method, so yes, please let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Back