• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

White filling question

  • Thread starter Thread starter icklenymph
  • Start date Start date
I

icklenymph

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
28
A few years ago I had some fillings done and was given the option of the white filling stuff instead of the silver amalgam (sorry not very savvy when it comes to dentistry!) and as it wasn't that much more in the way of cost I opted for that.
Sadly I did not look after my teeth and over the past year the white fillings crumbled and so led to some extractions, which are thankfully over and done with now. However I still have a white filling on one of my back molars at the top, next to the wisdom and the filling is now yellow due to not brushing. Question one - will it remain this colour even if I brush?

Something else I am worried about is that the filling will disintegrate like the others and leave me with an open cavity. I have been brushing once every day with water and rinsing with mouthwash (I now it should be twice but I have a brushing/toothpaste phobia so am working up to try and doing that) but am paranoid that by brushing it its going to break even though I am using a soft toothbrush. Does anyone know what the odds are of this happening? I suffered for six months with the last tooth it happened to and the thought of going through all that again after finally feeling I am getting somewhere with my oral hygiene feels incredibly disheartening.
Just wish I could go one day without worrying about my teeth!
 
Hi,
After about 7 years or so, some white fillings can start to discolour. This tends to take the form of a yellowy/ brown tinge. However, the filling itself if still sound and serving it’s purpose. It sounds like this is what may be happening to your filling. Sadly, all the brushing in the world will not restore it’s original colour.
There is absolutely no (zero zilch) chance of your brushing damaging your filling so brush away without worry!

Hope this helps,
Lincoln
 
Thanks for your reply Lincoln.

I guess I'm not too worried about the colour as such, its a back molar and no one can really see it anyway...it was more curiosity and the paranoia of that fact it might not hold or something. When I went for a checkup in July the dentist never mentioned it, and as I've had 4 teeth removed and a filling done in a specialist clinic since then I'm assuming its not much of an issue.

I guess I better get round to making a routine six month checkup at some point too...
 
Back
Top