• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why do things always happen right before holidays?

M

MountainMama

Last night I woke up to a dull throbbing in my lower left first molar. It has always been a waiting game with that tooth, as my jaw has hurt off and on for months but I was hoping it would hold until after I got my implant crowns on the other side. That is my only chewing surface right now and even that was only soft foods.
This morning it is slightly achy but not throbbing. My dentist is closed for next week and most of the following week for Christmas and New Year. Plus he is just going to tell me it needs a root canal and crown, which I will not do, since it would most likely fail, given my history.
Ugh. I have company coming and Christmas is not when you want a throbbing tooth, with no relief in sight.

Last night I woke up to a dull throbbing in my lower left first molar. It has always been a waiting game with that tooth, as my jaw has hurt off and on for months but I was hoping it would hold until after I got my implant crowns on the other side. That is my only chewing surface right now and even that was only soft foods.
This morning it is slightly achy but not throbbing. My dentist is closed for next week and most of the following week for Christmas and New Year. Plus he is just going to tell me it needs a root canal and crown, which I will not do, since it would most likely fail, given my history.
Ugh. I have company coming and Christmas is not when you want a throbbing tooth, with no relief in sight.
Sorry to hear this,it's always a worry at weekends/holiday time just asked about their opening hours myself+got told that department Xmas eve/day and boxing day will be shut if there's an urgent emergency call 111 but I already know that no one local will touch it. I hope you still manage to enjoy your Xmas or at least can hold out till their open again.

Aghh. so sorry Mountain Mama.. I've had a few of those holidays where dental work and absesses, broken teeth happen.. not fun at all... I hope you can get some resolve with it and it is not too bad.. I'm sorry that really stinks.. same @tazey sorry you are going through all you are around the holidays..

Sorry to hear this,it's always a worry at weekends/holiday time just asked about their opening hours myself+got told that department Xmas eve/day and boxing day will be shut if there's an urgent emergency call 111 but I already know that no one local will touch it. I hope you still manage to enjoy your Xmas or at least can hold out till their open again.
Yeah, I totally understand the dental staff wanting the time off, but it is almost two weeks! They do have an answering machine that the dentists are supposed to check daily and call you back for an emergency. Yet, I would feel like a total crumb calling on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, especially since there really isn’t anything they can do. The only resolution is to extract the tooth, and that is going to take a referral and more time. Ugh. I used to love the holidays but last year and this year I have dreaded them, just waiting for a new pain to crop up.

Aghh. so sorry Mountain Mama.. I've had a few of those holidays where dental work and absesses, broken teeth happen.. not fun at all... I hope you can get some resolve with it and it is not too bad.. I'm sorry that really stinks.. same @tazey sorry you are going through all you are around the holidays..

Today it is just achy and manageable with Tylenol. I worry about night and waking up with pain. The dentist told me when it wakes you up that is a sign that the nerve is involved, and is not good. I have pain pills left from my last dental surgery since I hate taking them, but I really don’t like the idea of being zoned out for Christmas. I have to do cooking for company.

Sorry to hear this. I would ring on Monday, even just to get advice over the phone. I had a checkup between Christmas and new year last year and my dentist told me they had had call-outs on Christmas Day and Boxing Day for pain, and that it’s just part of the job. (Here it’s business as usual on Monday, Tuesday and Friday next week, then the same the following week.)

Yeah, I totally understand the dental staff wanting the time off, but it is almost two weeks! They do have an answering machine that the dentists are supposed to check daily and call you back for an emergency. Yet, I would feel like a total crumb calling on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, especially since there really isn’t anything they can do. The only resolution is to extract the tooth, and that is going to take a referral and more time. Ugh. I used to love the holidays but last year and this year I have dreaded them, just waiting for a new pain to crop up.
There should be a stand in for emergencys it's just not on if someone was on holiday+needed an operation the doctor or whoever wouldn't say sorry your not from around here so I can't help you perhaps you should go back home. Wishing I hadn't gone Friday as I didn't have pain before just thought it needed urgent attention it's only been since he's touched it,seriously can't bare that place I would do anything to move. Used to love Xmas too but this will be the third in a row that just keeps getting worse.

Aw, I’m sorry to read this, MountainMama. It’s hard to enjoy the holidays when you’re in pain. Maybe you can reach someone on Monday on their emergency number. I’m thinking about you!

I am so sorry to hear this. Try them on Monday and hopefully they can give you attention that will get you through the holiday.

For what it is worth, I totally agree with your views about root canals. Much easier to go extraction and implants. Cheaper as well (at least here’s

Stay strong and I am thinking of you.

Sorry to hear this. I would ring on Monday, even just to get advice over the phone. I had a checkup between Christmas and new year last year and my dentist told me they had had call-outs on Christmas Day and Boxing Day for pain, and that it’s just part of the job. (Here it’s business as usual on Monday, Tuesday and Friday next week, then the same the following week.)

Most places here are open Monday and half day on Tuesday but it is pretty typical to be closed between Christmas Eve and the 2nd of January. I live in a fairly rural area and the dentist is closed every Friday anyway. He only works Monday through Thursday.
My next door neighbors are from England, moved here 6 years ago, and they said they were so surprised at how many businesses in our area were closed for almost two weeks or more over the holidays.

I am so sorry to hear this. Try them on Monday and hopefully they can give you attention that will get you through the holiday.

For what it is worth, I totally agree with your views about root canals. Much easier to go extraction and implants. Cheaper as well (at least here’s

Stay strong and I am thinking of you.

I will leave a message Monday, but honestly there isn’t much they can do. The tooth will have to come out.

It isn’t necessarily cheaper up front but for me, it is cheaper in the long run. After paying for two root canals that failed, then having to have extractions and implants anyway, I would rather skip paying for the root canal. My oral surgeon said he typically sees a lot of root canal teeth get extracted years later anyway, as they can get reinfected.

How are you doing, MountainMama? Were you able to get in touch? So sorry this is happening to you - the issue would be bad on it's own already but then also this timing :(

How are you doing, MountainMama? Were you able to get in touch? So sorry this is happening to you - the issue would be bad on it's own already but then also this timing :(

I called and left a message but haven’t heard back. I expect the dentist is probably out of town for the holidays.
Thankfully no more throbbing pain. I have been sleeping with my upper body elevated, which seems to help. The aching still comes and goes and I can feel it centered around the two back molars. I am taking exactly two extra strength Tylenol each day, one in morning and one in evening. I won’t take more than that.
Thanks for checking in! I am hoping to just make it through the holidays with Tylenol but I do have some heavier pain pills left over from my last oral surgery.
Have a Merry Christmas!

MountainMama - I am late to this discussion, but I really hope that you may feel a little better - I am sorry that you are still having pain. It is so draining.

When I read what people are going through with teeth I feel lucky. Yes I have had two recent tooth infections and two root canals but I have not had any issues since with either of the teeth. Why do people have recurring tooth pain after treatment? My teeth are not the greatest and I do not always floss but compared to others on here I really have nothing to moan about

When I read what people are going through with teeth I feel lucky. Yes I have had two recent tooth infections and two root canals but I have not had any issues since with either of the teeth. Why do people have recurring tooth pain after treatment? My teeth are not the greatest and I do not always floss but compared to others on here I really have nothing to moan about

My situation is rare, and quite the mystery, according to my dentist and endodontist. I had a lot of dental work as a kid, but not due to cavities. I had crowded teeth and baby teeth that wouldn’t come out on their own.
Then I never had more than some fillings and one crown on a back molar that broke while eating. I always had great oral hygiene.
Two years ago I had the crown replaced, at the recommendation of my new dentist. It wasn’t hurting or anything...it had a spot that didn’t reach my gum line and was catching food. That started an avalanche of dental issues in previously healthy teeth.
Now I can’t even have a filling done without the nerve going nuts. I went from very little dental work and healthy teeth to four extractions and painful teeth over the span of two years. All my x rays show healthy teeth, but they can’t tolerate any work.
My oral surgeon first suggested autoimmune issues could be causing it. My doctors are looking into that now.

I never had heard back from the dentist but the tooth is holding steady. It still hurts but is more of an annoying pain with occasional zings when I am eating. I am praying it holds on longer, because I really don’t want to have it extracted yet. I won’t be able to chew at all! I don’t want three months of a liquid diet. Ugh

MountainMama thanks for the update - I am wishing a much better 2020 for you and thinking of you. I am still eating on one side due to a failed RCT so I can relate somewhat, but I feel for the issues that you have had to deal with.

Fingers crossed for the tooth to hold on, MountainMama! You really deserve some peace with dental issues after all you‘ve been through :(

Back