@mariyam I believed it couldn't be done without it too, which was part of the reason I didn't see a dentist for about 19 years. because I had freaked out from them trying to send me to an oral surgeon to have all four pulled with GA or sedation when I was a young teen. GA and sedation are my biggest dental related fear and I can barely handle even conversation about them with a dentist. I was very panicked on the day of the procedure too, because of all the hype around wisdom tooth removal, and the push for GA or sedation made me think it might be some extreme thing. Now I just feel dumb, because it was so no big deal. I had a non wisdom tooth extracted another time, and that was worse than wisdom tooth removal.
I put a lot of thought into this after finding out how easy the procedure is, and suspect or wonder a couple things about it after my experience. One is that it may be financial. With my general dentist, the fee set by my insurance company to pull one wisdom tooth is $178, but I know oral surgeons charging many times this much, thousands of dollars, and all requiring general anesthesia or at least sedation, as far as I know. This price difference could cause motivation for the more expensive procedure. My dentist wasn't very enthusiastic about doing it and would have clearly been just as happy to refer me to an oral surgeon, which made me wonder if it wasn't super profitable for him. I had to be firm with him to get what I wanted.
I also believe that it could be something to do with the removal of un-errupted wisdom teeth from teens. I have read that this is both more expensive than removal of errupted or semi errupted wisdom teeth, and much more painful to recover from, since it is more invasive. My husband had one un-errupted wisdom tooth taken out with sedation as a teen, and he described an experience being on vicodin and antibiotics and in terrible shape for a week, but he had the others taken out later with novocaine, when they were more developed and said it was nothing, no big deal, just like my experience. Maybe people feel that teens are less likely to stay calm with just novocaine, either because of young age, or because a procedure with a scalpel and stitches for each tooth, or imagine the procedure itself being more painful because of the more painful recovery, I don't know. Then they start thinking all wisdom teeth removal would be like this kind of situation. Kind of a one size fits all. I am really not sure. I do know though, that sedation itself doesn't reduce pain, just affects anxiety, so even in these situations with teens, it is still novocaine that is dealing with the pain, if a full GA wasn't used.
Anyways I hope that everything works out for you and turns out to be no big deal. I can tell you I have two more wisdom teeth to pull next month, and after experiencing the other two I have no feeling of worry or fear at all, I feel like its nothing to worry me. Before doing the first two, I was a state of dread for months that completely ruined my quality of life, but it turned out to be a total non event.