• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth removal in a few days! ?

K

kjack99

So I'm getting all of my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday the 13th. I'm sooo scared! I'm not generally afraid of the dentist or dental procedures but I have been scared of having my wisdoms out pretty much since I knew what wisdom teeth were.

For a couple years they've been causing me problems. It started out as occasionally I'd wake up in the morning and my jaw would be locked but it would "unlock" after a few minutes so I didn't think much of it. Last year it got to where it would sometimes lock up while I was eating, usually with foods that require more intense chewing.

Eventually it got to where it locked up a little bit and has never unlocked. It's not severe I can still open my mouth most of the way, just not quite as wide as I could before. I finally had my x rays done with the oral surgeon at the consultation appt and my bottom ones are horizontal. Top ones looked angled outwards just a little bit but not crazy looking. Regardless, I don't have the room to keep them.

Since none have erupted I'm pretty sure they're all bony impactions as well. I'm nervous about so many things. 1) being sedated - I've never been before and I just don't understand how I'll breathe normally and not choke on or inhale fluids or something. I know fatal reactions to the drug are pretty rare but I'm still worried about that too! 2) I'm paranoid that my jaw will break or they'll have to break my jaw or something 3) I feel like my wisdoms will be a complicated removal so I'm scared about the recovery.

Has anyone else had a similar issue caused by their wisdom teeth? Had similar worries?? Blah idk I just want to get it over with so I can stop worrying about it, it's all I can think about ??

Hi you are going to be just fine and your mouth and jaw will probably thank you for getting them out. :)
Im so sorry you had to deal with pain for that long goodness. Do you know what type of sedation your getting?

If its IV sedation you have nothing to fear. Once the shot goes in you will instantly "wake up" and it'll be all over.

The recovery process is a pain in the butt I wont lie lol. Im on week 3 of recovering and Im still paranoid to really go back to my normal eating habits. (but thats just cuz Im paranoid LOOOL)

I was very terrified to get mine out and get sedated but I was really happy I chose IV sedation. I remember crying like a baby then after I got the shot I swear, a second went by and it was all over.:XXLhug:

Hi you are going to be just fine and your mouth and jaw will probably thank you for getting them out. :)
Im so sorry you had to deal with pain for that long goodness. Do you know what type of sedation your getting?

If its IV sedation you have nothing to fear. Once the shot goes in you will instantly "wake up" and it'll be all over.

The recovery process is a pain in the butt I wont lie lol. Im on week 3 of recovering and Im still paranoid to really go back to my normal eating habits. (but thats just cuz Im paranoid LOOOL)

I was very terrified to get mine out and get sedated but I was really happy I chose IV sedation. I remember crying like a baby then after I got the shot I swear, a second went by and it was all over.:XXLhug:

I'm glad it went well for you. I'll probably be a bit paranoid too for a few weeks, at least with things like meat and crunchy foods that could stab my gums (eeek!). I keep terrifying myself about it! I've taken 2 baths and 1 shower just today (what I do when stressed so no one can bother me). I am so worried but at the same time THE DAYS ARE NOT GOING BY FAST ENOUGH as I just want to get it over with at this point so I can stop worrying and overthinking it!!!! :(

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

To remove my bottom wisdoms, I just got local anesthesia. So I was conscious throughout the procedure, and it honestly isn't as bad as it might seem. I was so horribly anxious about it, and I didn't even take the anxiety medicine I was prescribed.

1)This sedation will go into your blood system, and you're basically just gonna sleep for a little bit - so you're gonna be breathing all the same.
If you get vaccinations and things are a-okay, then reaction to the IV will also be just fine. Least that's how I'd think of it! :"D
They'll also keep an eye on you, so you won't choke on anything! It'll be the dentist / surgeon along with a nurse holding the suction tube thingy. Any fluid like saliva or blood, will be cleaned up just for you!
2)And for sure they won't break your jaw! Your jaw will be very sore for sure, but their goal is just to pull out those pesky wisdoms! You'll be asleep anyway, so you won't have to worry about it when the pressure is happening.
3)If your surgeon / dentist feels they can do it, then you're in good hands. Recovery is always the hardest part, and this is a normal thing with everyone.
As long as you follow the post-op instructions, healing will be a piece of cake! Regardless of how complicated the surgery was! The pain is usually at it's highest maybe, day of, or second day after surgery. After then, things will settle. [Well, this depends on the person really ;w;/] Remember to ice your face day of, and then after use a hot compress for jaw tension.

Everything will be okay! <3
Take care of yourself dear! AND GOOD LUCK AGAIN!!!!! :jump:

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

To remove my bottom wisdoms, I just got local anesthesia. So I was conscious throughout the procedure, and it honestly isn't as bad as it might seem. I was so horribly anxious about it, and I didn't even take the anxiety medicine I was prescribed.

1)This sedation will go into your blood system, and you're basically just gonna sleep for a little bit - so you're gonna be breathing all the same.
If you get vaccinations and things are a-okay, then reaction to the IV will also be just fine. Least that's how I'd think of it! :"D
They'll also keep an eye on you, so you won't choke on anything! It'll be the dentist / surgeon along with a nurse holding the suction tube thingy. Any fluid like saliva or blood, will be cleaned up just for you!
2)And for sure they won't break your jaw! Your jaw will be very sore for sure, but their goal is just to pull out those pesky wisdoms! You'll be asleep anyway, so you won't have to worry about it when the pressure is happening.
3)If your surgeon / dentist feels they can do it, then you're in good hands. Recovery is always the hardest part, and this is a normal thing with everyone.
As long as you follow the post-op instructions, healing will be a piece of cake! Regardless of how complicated the surgery was! The pain is usually at it's highest maybe, day of, or second day after surgery. After then, things will settle. [Well, this depends on the person really ;w;/] Remember to ice your face day of, and then after use a hot compress for jaw tension.

Everything will be okay! <3
Take care of yourself dear! AND GOOD LUCK AGAIN!!!!! :jump:

Thank you I am really trying to reason with myself and be calm. Some days I've been mostly at peace with it and other days I'm a ball of anxiety. It is tomorrow so I've been a shaky leaf all day! ~13 hrs from now I'll be in surgery but I'm just trying to instead think, only ~15 hrs from now it'll be officially over and I'll be in the healing process! Then I'll never have to do this again.
AL.MOST. THERE.

Ahh good for you!!! :')

See your ALMOST done with this hell. :XXLhug: I really hope it goes okay for you.
Make sure you drink alot of liquids if you can and take your meds if/when you get them/some.

Haha you'll be like Ritsu and I now cuz we're still recovering. :giggle::thumbsup:

It's been a week for Ritsu I think and 3 weeks (going on 4; it'll be a month for me this friday) for me. if you need any advice or anything we can try and help you.:jump:

The recovery process really is a process imo but maybe you'll be lucky and recover super fast. :3 Lemme know how it goes.

Okay! I DID IT!! And I am alive!
I got to the surgeons office, checked in and all that jazz. Sat in waiting room for a decent bit. At one point everyone could hear a child screaming and crying from back there so that was not great lol. Eventually they call me back and I sit in another room for a few mins slightly tearing up but taking deep breaths to try and calm down. Nurse brings me to the surgery room and leaves for a few.

AND THEN while I'm in there alone I hear a woman from the room across from mine just SCREAMING like she was being tortured. That was comforting (NOT!) the nurse came back and then I sort of lost it. She was sooo kind though. She said that I would be fine and she knows hearing another person is probably making me more nervous so she turned on the tv with a Christmas movie on and turned it up, gave me tissues and a hug and held my hand for a minute. She started telling me funny things about her kids and what not, took my BP, O2 and all that. So all of that really calmed me down! The worst part was her putting the IV in my hand, which I've only had them in my arm before so that wasn't fun. But she gave me nitrous to help me relax.

The Dr came in shortly after, started flowing the sedative through my IV (which also hurt a little...i could feel it go up my vein in my arm - strange feeling) then the nurse put a block in my mouth and that's the last thing I remember!
I woke up to gauze being stuffed in my mouth and got helped to the car and we left to get my prescriptions.
when I finally got home I took the gauze out, it was all bloody and I was salivating so much and I couldn't stand it. I put some new gauze in for a few mins and took it out to carefully eat some room temp mashed potatoes. I haven't put more gauze in because it's super annoying and I don't think it's bleeding heavily so hopefully that's okay lol. My cheeks are super puffy and all my teeth and throat feel sore but it's not unbearable, just very annoying. So I'm just on the couch Waiting for the pain med to kick in. I iced my cheeks for a little bit as well but I haaaate the coldness lol but I'll try and ice more throughout the day.

Whew! I'm just soooo glad the procedure is behind me and I just need to heal now! Thanks for your guys's encouragement as well it was helpful!! ❤️

Wow Im sooo sorry you had to deal with people screaming, what a terrible thing to hear before getting surgery my goodness. @_@ The entire way to mine I was crying and while I was in the waiting room I was crying. I pretty much just cried until it was all over cuz Im a big baby LOOOL.

Im happy you had a nice nurse <3 Them putting the IV in was the worst part for me to because thats when I couldn't hold in the tears anymore. :( I pretty much bawled when my doc came in. He let the sedative do its job and unlike you I didnt have a block. XD (Or at least I dont remember) Just after it went in I was knocked out a second later. :o

I also got helped to the car the nurse put me in a wheelchair I wasn't feeling very groggy nor did I feel tired till much much later. I had my cheeks stuffed with gauze pads after and an ice pack I got to take home around my head along with extra gauze pads.

And I was salivating so much myself those gauzes were not fun so trust me I feel ya. :rolleyes: My bf ended up having to buy more because I went thru them due to salivating so much. e_e I decided later that night before I went to bed I would stop using them. I felt some blood every now and then which was gross but got used to.
I didn't even bother eating that night I just drank alot of water and took my meds. I also had an ice pack I never had to use the super strong one the ibuprofen they gave me was good enough. Im happy you at least could eat! I remember my second day the only thing I felt comfortable eating was jello. :'D

Im glad its all done with and went well. Your welcome <3 :XXLhug: Im so curious to see how your recovery process goes hopefully thats good too! And please PLEASE eat. Don't be like me and get so paranoid and scared you just don't even bother. ;w;

Well the swelling in my face has started going down now. I can barely open my mouth so it's hard to brush my teeth, especially my back teeth but hopefully I'm getting them a little bit. My mouth feels a little more sore today which is annoying but not bad necessarily. I mean, I did have my gums and jaw bones cut into so I should expect a little discomfort. And I have been eating! Not a ton of food but I do eat when I feel hungry. I had some pasta yesterday even, but it was bow tie pasta so I just cut each noodle into 4ths so I could just swallow without needing to chew. It's probably gonna be a couple more days at least before I feel comfortable doing even the slightest bit of chewing. I already miss regular foods lol.
Honestly one of the most annoying parts so far is just having to sleep with my head elevated. Normally I only sleep on one pillow so I'm pretty flat, so being elevated is not very comfortable for me. BUT I suppose if I have one major complaint of the recovery process so far, I'd rather it be that than being in a lot of pain or something.

Well the swelling in my face has started going down now. I can barely open my mouth so it's hard to brush my teeth, especially my back teeth but hopefully I'm getting them a little bit. My mouth feels a little more sore today which is annoying but not bad necessarily. I mean, I did have my gums and jaw bones cut into so I should expect a little discomfort. And I have been eating! Not a ton of food but I do eat when I feel hungry. I had some pasta yesterday even, but it was bow tie pasta so I just cut each noodle into 4ths so I could just swallow without needing to chew. It's probably gonna be a couple more days at least before I feel comfortable doing even the slightest bit of chewing. I already miss regular foods lol.
Honestly one of the most annoying parts so far is just having to sleep with my head elevated. Normally I only sleep on one pillow so I'm pretty flat, so being elevated is not very comfortable for me. BUT I suppose if I have one major complaint of the recovery process so far, I'd rather it be that than being in a lot of pain or something.

I'm so glad that you got through with it!
Literally the worst part of it all is just getting there!
I'd be scared out of my pants hearing people scream in the office though, oh l o r d y. You were very brave regardless 'cause you did it! <3

And look at you go! Eating pasta and whatnot first day. =w=b Good on you!!
I didn't start eating 'til late second day. I just gulped down a ton of water to fill my tummy. Not having anything of my normal diet was really annoying. Not being able to chew on top of it was awful.
AND LET ME TELL YOU --- I sleep on my stomach, so for the first few days I was just elevated on my back, and it was sooo hard to sleep. As long as you aren't swollen or bleeding excessively, I think it'd be alright to start sleeping flat again.

Your jaw will definitely be sore, so don't forget to start stretching it as soon as you feel comfortable!
Ooh! And your salt water rinses will speed up healing! :jump:

Well I felt like crap yesterday! Not really from pain I just sort of felt nauseous all day but not quite to where I thought I'd throw up, just....not good lol. Thank goodness I tend to have a stron stomach because throwing up is the last thing I want to do with wounds in my mouth!
I feel a bit better today though. I've been trying to carefully and slowly stretch my mouth open a little bit since yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't take forever for the stiffness to subside! Mainly I just want to be able to eat mostly normally by Christmas dinner Lol. But yeah, not much new going on. Some of the teeth on one side of my mouth feel kind of sore, I'm thinking maybe from all the pressure that was probably put in my mouth to remove the teeth during surgery so hopefully that goes away in a couple days. I think I'm healing pretty well it just feels like it's going by soooooo slowly since I've not been doing much for days ?

High five for having strong stomachs. ;) I have a stomach made of iron I haven't puked since I was like 8 years old. plus i just hate the feeling/the thought so I hear ya. I was naseous for a few days due to not eating cuz I was paranoid and because I didn't do much but laze around. :(

Aww im sorry. Im glad your trying!!! Your doing a lot better then me. Hows the whole eating thing going?

My teeth felt really strange for a while. :/ And they still feel strange as I only ate on one side not the other so Im having to go backwards a bit so I can get rid of this funky pressure feeling I got going on. Or maybe Im just a really slow healer LOL. My main issue is trying to eat normally Im very paranoid to chew and I don't know why. I think its cuz I haven't ate normally since then I fear I could damage myself even though I know I couldn't. Cries.

If you dont think about it too much you'll heal better and faster just be sure to keep eating! ;A;

I've been able to eat much better. I ate a (thin) slice of pizza the other day. I use my fork to tear it into tiny pieces and kind of chewed in my front teeth LOL. Yesterday I had some Lo Mein noodles as well so thank goodness I've at least been able to expand my diet even if it's tedious.

The thing is I have no holes, I thought I would because many people on here mention the holes in their mouth but the Dr stitched mine up really well I guess because I haven't had any! I only see like one little black stitch sticking out on each side on the bottom (top ones already dissolved...I can't even tell where they cut into the top anymore!) So I probably could chew on the sides now but I'm just paranoid about small particles getting under the stitch or something idk lol even though the rinses will take care of that anyways.

It seems like I can open my mouth a TINY bit more each day. I think the open space between my top and bottom teeth when opening my mouth today is like 3/4 of an inch or so. I open as much as I can a few times throughout the day, plus I talk, brush teeth, eat etc so it gets movement and stretched a little. There is a little bit of swelling too still so maybe once that is completely gone I'll be able to open more too!

How bold. :scared: I was too terrifed to try pizza until my 2nd week. :'D Im so happy your healing up okay and being careful!! I remember I did the front teeth for a bit and it felt so strange (and I got paranoid X_X).

Noodles are your best friends. I think my diet was ramen for a good long week LOL.

I had very tiny holes myself; with only one I can really see. XD I hear you with the top? wisdom teeth I couldn't even tell if mine were stitched or not its mainly the lower ones we gotta watch out for. ;-;

When do you go back for a follow up?

Swolleness should fade overtime. ^^ Seems like your having a speedy recovery. Does your bite feel off or funny or anything?

Last edited:
I don't have a follow up. I called and asked a few days after surgery to see if I should make one but they said they don't require them, just if I wanted something looked at or whatever.

Last night the last bit of stitches that were sticking out came out of my mouth and the gums look really good! I felt the back gum with my tongue and of course there is no one underneath it currently so it felt really soft and it creeped me out lol!

At first I thought my bite felt weird but I don't think it's actually different I think I just couldn't remember what it felt like before surgery lol.
But yeah everything seems to be going very well. Now I'm just waiting for the bit of swelling to go away and for my mouth to open all the way.

Back