• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth removed, soon cavities, need some kind of reassurance

F

FlamingShadow

Hello,

Pardon me if this question has been asked but I after getting my wisdom teeth pulled I am a little if not, a lot nervous still. Now what I was most nervous about was the pain afterwards but that fear has faded and it ended up with me hating the needles they stick in your gums. That was probably the most painful thing I have gone through in awhile. I have to go back tomorrow for what I assume is a check up.

I also happen to have five or six cavities. I don't know how bad they are because their main focus at first was to take out my wisdom teeth. Either way do they have to wait awhile until I am healed enough before they fix the cavities? I also assume they will use Novocain? Is there anyway I can ask to be sedated instead? I rather be called a baby than have needles stuck in my mouth again.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Hi Flamingshadow.... do they not use numbing gel before giving you the locals? I would request that they use it. This should make it to where you don't even feel it. I never feel the local injections my dentist gives me for things like fillings. If they won't use the numbing gel find a different dentist that will. Another thing that might help is asking for some type of oral sedative like xanax or valium ect... this helps so much with the anxiety. Locals do NOT have to be painful.

Yeah they did give me a gel (I guess that was what it was) but when they stuck the needle in me it was still the most painful thing I have experienced. I literally felt myself cry when they kept sticking the needle in. I know I could suck it up but if I can avoid the needle when getting the cavities filled I want to do it that way. I don't have much tolerance for pain.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with the locals. They are not fun without numbing topical. In your case I'm wondering where they were given. If it were me I would want to heal up from the wisdom extractions before getting anymore work done. Let us know how you get on.

Back