• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removed, got Numb tongue + other problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter dentalhell500
  • Start date Start date
D

dentalhell500

Junior member
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
8
I'm 43 and had my lower left tooth removed. It was partially exposed (straight up and down, not fully impacted) and it was decaying. Plaque would get behind it and it smelled when my hygienist dug in it. Went to OS and the tooth had a cyst, so it had to come out. OS said it was barely touching nerve and would come out in 1 piece. He said nerve damage chance was very low.

Got it done on Friday morning. Bleeding stopped in 3 hrs, changed gauzes a couple times. It came out in one piece but some bone needed to be removed as the tooth wouldn't come out. 1st night was bad, but that was it.

After 48 hrs l have problems. Pain is mostly gone now but pretty swollen, around jaw and under tongue (bottom of my mouth). My talking is off and I only drink mostly. I can't open my mouth enough too eat solid food or even brush my teeth yet. I can squeeze a few small spoonfuls of mashed potatoes here and there. My tongue is numb on the side of the extraction and I can't move it around too much, feels stiff. Also the inner gum facing the tongue is numb.

Should I be worried? Problem with lingual nerve? I have a post-op appt in a week. I'll be calling tomorrow. I'm starving and lost 6 lbs already. >:(
 
Don't panic yet.... I have heard a lot of people experience this with wisdom teeth removal and it is more than likely temporary. Please don't hesitate to contact your os and let them know what is going on. Keep us posted.
 
I don't know, after my surgery on Friday they were acting like I'd be fine by Tuesday to go back to work. That's not going to happen, I feel so weak. It's almost 3 days after surgery and no improvement yet. The numbness is driving me nuts. Swallowing my meds and vitamins is a pain in the ass. All I been having mostly is protein shakes. I've been drooling a little as my tongue can't reach my lips properly when drinking.

Prior to my surgery, my regular dentist said I was blowing it out of proportion and I should be fine in 2 days. He said don't pay attention to horror stories on the internet. Well I should have took those "stories" more seriously. I'm beginning to regret my decision, even with the cyst. With my luck, the numbness won't be temporary. It's been very difficult, no solid food since Thurs 10/7. I'm cracking up. *:'(*:'(
 
Last edited:
I'm beginning to regret my decision, even with the cyst.

You shouldn't...if a cyst was found be glad that it was removed. Depending on the type of cyst those things can sometimes turn out to be cancerous.
 
You shouldn't...if a cyst was found be glad that it was removed. Depending on the type of cyst those things can sometimes turn out to be cancerous.

You're correct, it was the right decision. Thank you.. With the symptoms/meds I'm not thinking clearly.

They are doing a biopsy on it to check for cancer, my OS said chance was very small. I really didn't want to bring that up here. That's another reason why I'm anxious. Hopefully in a week things are looking better.
 
I completely understand your fear but I have heard some people say it takes a month or two for it to go away. It all depends on the person. Don't give up hope but you should for sure let them know what is going on. Plus, don't worry about the biopsy I'm sure everything is fine. Try to drink lots of liquids without carbonation and drink some ensure drinks if you need to. Keep us posted.
 
Last edited:
I called my OS this morning and they didn't seem concerned about the numbness or locked jaw. The nurse said all the swelling is most likely the cause of the numbness. They will fully check me out at my post-op appt next monday. I'm afraid of nerve damage, but I've been feeling some tingling in my tongue for a day.

I've been living on Protein shakes, multi vitamins, milk + water. With a few mashed potatos throw in. I had some ice cream last night, but since I can't brush yet, I want to avoid sugary foods.
 
Call the OS back up and insist to be sent to someone who deals with nerve injury asap..... when that "numbness" happened to me i was put on a 10 day course of steroids on the 3rd day after. They should be very concerned... swelling does not cause numbness in the tongue. only disruption of the lingual nerve can do that and if it goes away it all depends on how bad the nerve was injured.... any OS with a brain knows that one!
 
I went to my OS today to be evaluated. He went thru the motions of checking the tongue. "you can't feel that???". I asked if there was anything he could give me or do?, he said, no, just wait and see. I have another appt with the OS in a week. probably a total waste of time imo. No steroids like Gold Crown suggested.

Blamed the cyst (which is Ok thank goodness) and my age for damaging the lingual nerve, like it wasn't his fault or anything.

I can't sleep, my eating is messed up. My speech is pretty much OK I guess. Thanksgiving dinner with friends/family should be a real blast. I saw my friend today who I haven't seen since before the surgery. He couldn't believe how bad I looked.

What can I do? I'm seeing my regular dentist next week. Should I see a Neurologist? Try sublingual B12? See a therapist? I'm angry and upset right now. I really loved to eat and that joy is gone. *:'(
 
I'm sorry to hear that you are still having trouble. Are you still able to taste when you eat? I'm happy to know that they cyst biopsy came back ok. Don't give up yet. Do you have any tingling or sensation in your tongue on that side at all? Any feeling at all? Gordon always says that is a good sign. Don't give up hope... it may just take a while for it to go away.
 
I went to my OS today to be evaluated. He went thru the motions of checking the tongue. "you can't feel that???". I asked if there was anything he could give me or do?, he said, no, just wait and see. I have another appt with the OS in a week. probably a total waste of time imo. No steroids like Gold Crown suggested.

Blamed the cyst (which is Ok thank goodness) and my age for damaging the lingual nerve, like it wasn't his fault or anything.

I can't sleep, my eating is messed up. My speech is pretty much OK I guess. Thanksgiving dinner with friends/family should be a real blast. I saw my friend today who I haven't seen since before the surgery. He couldn't believe how bad I looked.

What can I do? I'm seeing my regular dentist next week. Should I see a Neurologist? Try sublingual B12? See a therapist? I'm angry and upset right now. I really loved to eat and that joy is gone. *:'(

To be truthful, the steroid did not relieve anything. And the other truthful part is there is nothing to make it better except hopefully time.... You may want to see your gp and get on a anti anxiety medication so you can at least sleep to get away from it :grouphug:ask for clonazepam..
 
Back
Top