• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth surgery in 2 days in US, SEVERE ANXIETY making me sick!

  • Thread starter Thread starter kmarieg
  • Start date Start date
K

kmarieg

Junior member
Joined
Oct 8, 2012
Messages
4
I'm getting all 4 + 3 little extras of my wisdom teeth out in 2 days and I am so, so terrified!

Last week I found out I have a mild leaky heart valve, but my cardiologist gave me clearance for this surgery.

With the wisdom teeth, I was told I'm getting deep sedation through an IV and that'll take about 45 minutes. All of my teeth are erupted except for one of my extras. The top right and bottom left wisdom teeth are broken.

I'm so terrified of the sedation and not waking up. The oral surgeon already told me that I will have oxygen up my nose, blood pressure, and heart monitors.

I'm not afraid of the pain after surgery, or don't mind not being able to eat what I want.

I suffer from panic disorder with agoraphobia and I've been making myself sick with worry over this procedure and being "put to sleep" for it.

I just hope that I don't chicken out, I have no idea how to get over this fear. These wisdom teeth have been giving me nothing but problems for over 4 years, I was supposed to get it done all that time ago and I totally left :(
 
Hello and :welcome:

Aw, I really feel for you, because I have been where you are now. From when all my problems really started, I felt constantly sick to my stomach, couldn't eat (lost loads of weight - that was the upside), and generally felt downright ill :(

I had eleven extractions under IV sedation, and (I bore myself by keep saying this) but absolutely :love: with it.

I was monitored, BP etc, that is all really no big deal, and it is just a matter of course so to speak. If your cardiologist has given the green light for the surgery, then that is at least one worry you can tuck away at the back of your :frantic: head :)

The IV that you will be given will be administered according to need, and the oral surgeon is only telling you what he has to tell you. The person giving the IV will be specifically trained and qualified in this, and you will wake up. It is not a general anaesthetic, and is therefore much safer.

I feel awful in some ways, because when you have been through something, it is so much easier to say - you will be fine - and the other person may just think that it is ok for you to say it, when you are not now going through it.

I opted for IV sedation, and I wouldn't have gone any other way for my extractions. The fact that you also suffer with panic disorder and agoraphobia means that your fears are increased, and it is like a viscous circle that at this moment in time, probably seems impossible.

Try to focus on the 'bad boys' here, the teeth that have been giving you grief for such a long time. I didn't want to hang around for their 'farewell' party, so I didn't, I decided to take a little nap while they went, and before I knew it, I was awake, and it was all over and done with :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

We are all here to support you, and hopefully get you through this. The run up to the actual appointment is the worst part, but you really will be so happy once you have got through, and you will feel such a sense of achievement too.

Try to think of nice things and be kind to yourself. By coming on here, you have found many Allies just by coming on here, and we will do all we can to support you through all of this.

You take care, and let us know how you get on.

Kim
 
Thank you Kim, you have helped eased my fears a bit :)
 
No one will be able to totally ease your fears, because that is all part and parcel of this horrible phobia and fear, but a little, is better than nothing :) So that's a plus for me, and I hope also for you.

Kim
 
I will most likely be having my wisdom tooth removed on Friday and I have this fear too therefore I am not opting for sedation though the receptionist asked if I would prefer it my immediate answer was no, I want to be fully aware and have complete control :D
But I can bet you any money and promise that you WILL wake up and within 24 hours you'll be carrying on like nothing happened (apart from the fact you can't eat what you want)
Your body is VERY durable. 4 years ago, I had a severe asthma attack, the last thing I can remember is trying to climb out of the car, apparently I was "out of it" for a few hours, but I came round. And you will too! Thousands of people undergo this everyday and they're still walking.

I know you're terrified and I know nothing we say will ease it much, but I believe you will be perfectly fine :)
 
thank you for all of the replies, my surgery is in less than 24 hours and I'm still terrified and in tears with little sleep last night :(
 
I hope everything went well for you and that you are resting, hopefully you will be on here and letting us know how you are feeling when you do feel up to it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:


If you didn't manage to make it and are sat reading this not knowing what to say, just come on and say Hi, we don't judge, we all do things in our own time and as we can face things. :hug::hug::hug:
 
hello everyone. thank you for your thoughts and well wishes.

after reviewing my report from my cardiologist in regards to my mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation, my oral surgeon didn't feel comfortable doing the procedure under deep sedation in office.

I am no scheduled for November 2nd in the surgical center under general anesthesia with an anesthesia team :)

I haven't worked myself up yet, but I'm sure I will feel the anxiety soon.
 
Thank you for letting us know how you are and what happened. I am sure you will be fine and have all the right people to look after you.

Good luck it will be okay, I look forward to hearing how it went for you and that you are feeling good.

Best Wishes to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
 
Hi Kmarieg... thinking of you today and hope your oral surgery went well. Hope you will come back and let us know how you are doing.
 
Back
Top