• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about pain from clenching my jaw

D

depressedbunny

I’ve been subconsciously clenching my jaw at night due to anxiety for months now. I wear a mouthguard (although sometimes it falls out) but I’m starting to get serious pain in my teeth. I’m worried that I’ve cracked some of my teeth. It’s gotten to the point where I try to avoid chewing on one side because it hurts so bad. What’s even worse is most of my teeth have fillings so I feel like it makes things even more complicated if I have to have restorative work. I’m going to try to get to the dentist as soon as possible but I’m so worried that this will result in me having to get an extraction(s). My teeth are causing me constant anxiety and depression.

Hi,

please allow me to share with you a video I made which might be helpful:
Dental worrying
Hope you find it helpful.

I know it is hard not to worry, but keep in mind that extraction is the last resort. Pain doesn’t mean it is cracked. Do you have high sensitivity to cold or heat? Like to where the pain stays for a minute or so after the cold/heat is gone? Do you have pain on biting or on releasing?
It may just be that your mouth guard needs adjusting or you need a new one. Or you may need a filling replaced, or a crown put on. There are a lot of different things that it could be.

Back