• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worries after 1st molar extraction

L

Lpf

12 days ago I had an emergency 1st molar extraction as the RCT tooth had a bad crack and an abscess. It’s always been a difficult tooth. The extraction was horrific. Took an hour. tooth was difficult to get out and it took a few staff members to help. Immediate issues were severe pain and swelling in jaw / face and likely pierced sinus if my breathing sensation is anything to go by. Then I had dry socket developing and had that treated along with antibiotics for the infection. Also had a bone spur or disjointed bone pushing on the gum. Agony - now all healing I think.

My current issues are
1. the stitches still haven’t fallen out. 1 has unravelled and is rubbing against the gum making it sore and catching in the next tooth. I can’t get back to the dentist for another 3 days due to the Easter weekend - will this do any damage?
2. the premolar next to the extraction has been getting progressively odder. It feels like it’s moved following the extraction, like it’s been pushed forward and it rubs on my lip when I talk. It feels hollow and hurts if it gets tapped. Sometimes my bite feels weird around this tooth. I‘m petrified that there is something broken with this tooth and this will need to be taken out and I can’t handle going through all this again. I think I’ve got some real PTSD from the extraction. I keep dreaming about what happened.
3. The extraction site is a massive red hole still. cant imagine ever eating near it. when I lie on that side at night it feels really pressured and my bite goes funny. I also have vertigo feelings when I lie down or get up.

I never thought extractions were this traumatic. Ive been struggling to eat and lost quite a bit of weight. I can’t work as I need to speak clearly. I’m terrified of going back even though the dentist was lovely. And a tooth on my opposite side is now hurting too…😢

help.

1) No. Can you get somebody you trust to snip a bit off it to stop it being so annoying?
2) It's fairly normal, there's a load of swelling going on there as well as the tooth might have been used as a backstop to lever out roots of the molar. It'll be OK in a wee while
3) What's the question?

Thank you - that’s really reassuring.

2. the last couple of nights I’ve noticed my bite feels funny, like I can’t bring my teeth (the premolar) together when I wake in the night. It felt like this with the tooth that was extracted (but worse). Once I’m up and moving, it’s better. I’m assuming it’s just pressure and blood rushing to my head or something but in my anxious mind I keep thinking - what I’ve if got an abscess in that tooth now, what if that needs extracting now. I also now have vertigo when I lie down or get up.
It‘s been nearly 2 weeks since the extraction. Is that still ok for the next door tooth to feel so odd / empty / sore. I’ve heard things should be better by now and also that it can take months 🤷‍♀️

3. sorry, my question really was - is this normal to have have a huge red crater at the extraction 2 weeks in? I naively thought the healing would be over quite quickly…..but then I never thought an extraction would be as bad as it was 😢

2) Unfortunately it can take more than a couple weeks to settle down after that kind of surgery.
3) Yes perfectly normal. It's a big hole that takes a while to fill in :)

Thank you so much. I feel much better in general now!

Lpf,

Just want to say I'm so sorry you had such a rough extraction ! :grouphug: It sounds quite exhausting and traumatic. HOpe you can get some peace and rest and that it heals up as quick as possible.

@Lpf hi lpf I completely understand the trauma that you feel with an extraction it's pretty brutal to me also.
you will be able to eat soon enough actually you're already probably doing fine because this is two and a half months later
😊
I've also lost about 10 lb with teeth issues not that I mind but it's a real miserable way to lose teeth not to be able to eat or chew.
just sending off well wishes

Back