• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

(Xray included) is this extraction going to be difficult?

S

Skennedy2

Hello everyone. This forum is wonderful! I have a molar, last one in the upper left get a cavity and break due to decay, about half the crown has broken, no pain. I had it looked at at the clinic last week and immediately said it was beyond saving. There is a wisdom tooth under the gum behind it. I contacted another dentist that offers nitrous sedation just to easy my anxiety (Never had nitrous before, thats another source of fear). If they do extract it, they said that the wisdom tooth may be able to stay in and perhaps take it's place. This was all over the phone, they haven't seen this x-ray yet. Here is my question. Does this look like a difficult extraction? Will it damage the teeth next to it or expose their roots? I'm really nervous. I had a lower molar pulled a few years ago by a student dentist and he didn't know to section it to get it out since the roots were curved and he pulled on it for over 40 minutes before the dentist came in and had it out in less than two. I am afraid of the roots snapping as well. Im just obsessing. Thanks for reading my rambling, you all are great. tooth2.jpg

Hi Skennedy2,

I do not really know how to comment on the xray. but I can completely empathize you might be a little scared after having the experience you did with dentist pulling on your tooth for 40 minutes. I'd be a bit nervous.. But I can say from experience. Most extractions seem to be fairly quick and easy, make sure they give you enough anesthetic so you don't feel a thing and I bet it will go a bit better better this time. Do you have an appt for the extraction? or are they just doing an exam to confirm what needs to be done?

Hi Skennedy2,

I do not really know how to comment on the xray. but I can completely empathize you might be a little scared after having the experience you did with dentist pulling on your tooth for 40 minutes. I'd be a bit nervous.. But I can say from experience. Most extractions seem to be fairly quick and easy, make sure they give you enough anesthetic so you don't feel a thing and I bet it will go a bit better better this time. Do you have an appt for the extraction? or are they just doing an exam to confirm what needs to be done?

Thanks for your reply and reassurance! The dentist I am seeing Monday has not seen these x-rays yet (or the tooth in person for that matter) but the appointment is booked as an extraction just so the dentist can be prepared and all set up just in case.

"I had it looked at at the clinic last week and immediately said it was beyond saving. There is a wisdom tooth under the gum behind it. I contacted another dentist that offers nitrous sedation just to easy my anxiety (Never had nitrous before, thats another source of fear). If they do extract it, they said that the wisdom tooth may be able to stay in and perhaps take it's place. This was all over the phone, they haven't seen this x-ray yet."

Seems like they really tried to answer your questions , be reassuring and encouraging as well as take your anxiety into concern. All this sounds really good.. I"ve had a "few" teeth pulled so can empathize with the anxiety that happens ahead of time no matter how many times we've been through it , the thought is usually the worst part :)..

Don't want to jinx you but from that x-ray that looks a very straightforward extraction.

I'd expect the wisdom tooth to come through into the extraction space in a year or so too, you'll be like a wee shark with a new tooth coming in to replace the missing one :)

Don't want to jinx you but from that x-ray that looks a very straightforward extraction.

I'd expect the wisdom tooth to come through into the extraction space in a year or so too, you'll be like a wee shark with a new tooth coming in to replace the missing one :)
I agree with Gordon but Gordon has had years of experience as I have too. Some dentists would be challenged by this tooth so ask: Are you comfortable with this extraction? The answer should be yes and no hedging.

Back