• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Yet another IV and wisdom teeth question

T

tkozuch

Hi all. I have been a lurker on here for a while, and all the stories of success have really helped me out. Let me give you some background.

I have never really feared the dentist. In fact, up until very recently, I have never even had a cavity, and I am 29 years old. When I was about 13, I had to have a gum graft. Althrough it wasn't pleasant, I wasn't that bad. I wasn't asleep, just novacane (or lidocane I guess).

Fast forward to now. I have 4 wisdom teeth that need to come out. In fact, I let them go so long, I have to have a 5th tooth taken out as well. The wisdom tooth caused the molar in front to decay, and this is the only real cavity I have ever had. Wow, is it painful.

Long story short, I am getting all 5 teeth out this Thursday morning. I'm assuming it's under IV sedation. The oral surgeon said that he'd give me some gas, then put a topical on my arm, and then insert the iv and i'd be asleep. He said that it wouldn't be such a deep sleep and if he wanted, he could shake my shoulders and get me out of it.

Now, I am starting to get a little nervous. I'm not really nervous about pain at all. I have had gum issues and very deep gum cleaning all my life. That is really painful, but I have come to be able to tolerate it very well. What is scaring me is the sedation.

It's just fear of the unknown really. I have been drunk before and honestly, sure, I've been stoned (weren't we all in college at some point?). Is it a similar feeling? Do I feel anything going into my arm, like into my bloodstream?

I know from reading this forum, I am freaking myself out needlessly, but any calming words would sure help.

Last edited:
Oh! And as far as my wisdom teeth, the two lower are impacted, and the top 2 are not. The surgeon said that the top two, he can just pull out. The bottom 2 required surgery, and he said the decayed molar on the bottom is so decayed that he will take that surgically too, because if he tried to pull it, it would shatter (ew)

I would never had any teeth out without IV sedation and I can describe it exactly (assuming you are having the same as what I had).

Its no big deal. The fear of the unknown can be overpowering as you imagination goes into overdrive and take over all rational thought. I know, it happened to me first time I had it.

Basically, its just a tiny pinch in the back of the hand and in goes the 'stuff'. Nothing happens for several seconds and then you begin to feel light-headed (a little drunk) for a few moments, which is not unpleasent. Then instantly several hours have magically passed and everything has been done. Its like the flick of a switch which turns your brain off for an hour or two. You feel fairly dopey and woozy afterwards where you may want to go and sleep it off.

Its the best way to have dental work done!!

Thanks Graham. That's exactly the type of response I was hoping for. Most people always just say they count down and then they are out before they know it. But I just wanted to know what the actual sensation was before you go out.

I really don't even care if I wake up a little a few times like some other have, as long as there is no pain of course. It's just that unknown factor that is making my imagination go wild.

Back