• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Young person having to get teeth extracted

T

taritari

Hi, have been looking around these forums but thought I'd sign up and ask for help.
I'm in my early twenties and have never really looked after my teeth and recently went to the dentist and was told I needed 5 teeth extracted and 4 fillings. The teeth needing extracting are the back three on the right side and the back 2 on the left. I knew my teeth were terrible but they never hurt a great deal and the worse they got the more anxiety I felt which meant I never visited the dentist.

The whole visit left me in shock (even though I suspected I'd need this treatment) and just thinking about the future of my teeth leaves me feeling very ill. I don't think this was helped by the dentist who was overall condescending and curt, not fully explaining my options. (Though I fully expected and accept his behaviour since this is all my own fault.)

The plan is to extract all those teeth in two visits (one side each time) but there was no mention of what happens next. This is what worried me slightly as I've agreed to take these teeth out but with no idea what will happen afterwards. Researching my options makes me feel incredibly nauseous, but it seems the best thing would be a partial denture. However, I'm not entirely sure I want all these teeth out. At the moment I only have very irregular pain problems with one (the one on the very back on the right) and would like that fixed, but the idea of taking them all out in such a small period of time fills me with fear. But since I've already agreed to this course of treatment I'm not sure what else I could do. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to just take that one out for now and then treat the others at a later date (I'm currently at university and so travelling back home to visit the dentist is not always an option).

Will keeping in heavily decayed teeth cause a huge amount of problems? Or is it best to take them all out? The dentist did not mention what happens after these teeth are extracted at all and that makes me incredibly anxious. It's my own fault for not asking, but honestly my mind was incredibly fuzzy and I could barely think. I just wish I'd gotten more of a chance to ask questions, but it seemed the dentist just wanted to see the back of me. (This sounds like I'm mad at them but really I'm just mad at myself.)

I've always been very self conscious of my teeth and the idea of losing all these at once is very scary. I've told my boyfriend I need treatment but not how bad it is (mostly because I don't want to scare him off).
Sorry for this long and rambling post, I'm just looking for a bit of guidance as to what to do since I'm at a complete loss.

first off, welcome!

Secondly, I just want to congratulate you on being so brave. Despite your anxiety, you worked up the nerve to go to the dentist. That's a big step that took a great deal of courage.

Now, I can certainly understand your concerns over having all those teeth pulled. If you feel uncertain, and if you aren't satisfied with how your dentist is treating you -- personally and professionally -- seek a second opinion. You may just find dentist who makes you feel more comfortable and who may look at other options for the teeth It doesn't hurt to find out.

If your teeth are decaying, and if you just let them go, they will start to cause you problems later on down the road. I had a tooth that was decaying, for which I didn't seek treatment, and it caused me horrible pain that kept me awake at night, until the tooth eventually fractured and crumpled in my mouth. Not fun.

Whatever you decide, you have support. We all understand your shame and anxiety, but you are not alone. I am 28 and just went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years. Needless to say, I received some bad news. So I get it.

Best of luck to you, sweetie. Stay strong.

Hello :)
I just joined as well..I think we're in the right place! I have been reading through posts, and there are some incredibly brave people here. It is awesome to not feel so alone in my fears as well.

I just wanted to first say well done for getting to the dentist in the first place. that can be the hardest part for some people. Good job!

As for the treatment you received from the dentist. .not cool. He or she had no right to shame you in any way, period. You may feel like it's "your fault", but that is neither here nor there . You are there because you know it is time to correct the issues you are having with your teeth, and that is ALL that counts! Your dentist should be way more compassionate about your care, especially if you are extremely fearful. Personally, I would find a different dentist. Not to mention it sounds like you have reservations about having your teeth extracted, and to be honest you should. I think it is always wise to get a second opinion when majour procedures are being discussed. The 1st dentist I went to said a tooth was too far gone to save, but the second dentist said a root canal and crown would save the tooth. So if you are able to, I highly suggest a second opinion. You deserve to be seen by a trustworthy, compassionate dentist, not someone who is going to make you feel bad about an already frightening situation.

Please try not to be too hard on yourself. What's done is done, but you are being brave and facing this now. That's what matters :)
Good luck! I wish you all the best!!:grouphug::cheer::you-rock::jump:

Hey there. I'm 28 and just had all my teeth removed. I was living with dead, decaying teeth for years now and was too afraid to do anything about it. I took the jump to make my life better and I can only say that even though this process is still new and scary to me I still do not regret having them pulled. The embarrassment and shame I felt equaled the pain and discomfort I was having due to their condition. Do what is best for you and taking that first step is always going to uneasy, but having amazing friends to back you up makes so much easier.