• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

ZOOM & whitening strips cause intense pain and discomfort. Are there pain-free alternatives?

A

april1

ZOOM & whitening strips cause intense pain and discomfort. Are there pain-free alternatives?

Thanks,
April

Re: ZOOM & whitening strips cause intense pain and discomfort. Are there pain-free alternatives?

I would guess you mean that the teeth are very sensitive to temperature after you have used these products. Talk with your dentist about using an in office procedure, perhaps laser treatments. You might try cutting back the amount of time that you use the strips or alternating days or using them every few days instead of routinely. More information as to what is causing your problem would help. How do you use them? Are you monitored by a professional? What type of pain? What causes it?

Thomas Karmen DDS

Re: ZOOM & whitening strips cause intense pain and discomfort. Are there pain-free alternatives?

Teeth are not just sensitive to temperature after I have used products (severe, lasting pain, felt like all of my nerves were exposed) - they are getting "zings" of pain in a few secs of applying product.

What's laser treatment? Does laser procedure involves whitening chemicals?

Have you tried using sensodyne toothpaste (or a similar product) for a few days?

Yes, I tried Colgate enamelprotect & restoring flouride mouthwash.
They are help but whitening chemicals still causing intense pain.

Hi april1

I wanted my teeth whitened by my dentist but he said he wouldn't do it in his office because I have very sensitive teeth and there are no whitening proceedures that don't involve chemicals. Instead he gave me a home whitening kit and a large amount of pure flouride.

The plan is is that I will take a Brufen about 15 minutes before I start then apply a product like Sensodyne to my teeth and gums with my finger and leave for 5 minutes, then I will apply the whitening tray for the amount of time he suggested. If I have any real problems I can apply the flouride.

I did try it once and I know what you mean by a 'zing' feeling but I must admit I haven't done it since - I will in time but at the moment I am just enjoying being pain free.

I suggest you speak with your dentist ....

:)

I'll speak with my dentist.. Thanks! :)

I'm having my teeth zoomed and yes, it does hurt a lot, I was on 30 minutes yesterday and that was all I could take, I started to get very painful zingers, maybe ask for less zooming time, 15 minutes at a time? My teeth are pretty yellow so I need to have the whitened quite a bit before they can put the crowns and other stuff I need otherwise they won't match.

Whats teeth Zooming then?

Dave:confused:

Zoom is a proprietary tooth bleaching system.

Oh Right Gordon Thanks.

Dave.:)

Back