• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 months post surgery, does this ever get better?

2ladiesdad

I had 24 teeth taken out a little over 2 months ago, I have partials on top and bottom. I have 2 teeth on the top and 2 on the bottom. This is awful! I hate it! Please tell me it gets better. I'm 29 and have always had extremely weak teeth, my dentist recommended dentures because I was sinking so much money into my real teeth only for them to go bad anyway. I have no doubt that he was correct in recommending this route. I can't get used to the dentures, I hate the way they feel, I hate the adhesive and trying to clean the adhesive out of my mouth at the end of the day (polygrip), I can't eat many of my favorite foods anymore due to them being tougher or getting under my dentures and making them even more uncomfortable, and the amount of food that is under them at the end of the day is disgusting. I gag every morning when putting them in and I can't stand the way I look or sound when I have them out. My wife has been very supportive about the whole thing but I just can't deal with it. I don't have any pain or soreness anymore, just extremely uncomfortable at times to the point where I just want to rip them out and throw them out the window. Please tell me it gets better, I still have my immediate dentures which werent made right in the first place, I'm hoping once I get my perminates it will get better. Thanks for any input or advice.

Yes, I promise you that it does get better. SO much better! I hated my immediates too (I had full extractions). They were massive, made my face look slightly different (which bugged me no end), and required adhesive too. That stuff is such a pain to get off your gums! Not to mention they moved around while eating just enough to chafe and be uncomfortable after a meal. I never even used them at home, only when other people were around or I was out in public.

Then I got my permanent ones and it's so much easier. They'll fit better so you'll have a better bite. I can eat most things (exceptions would be things like nuts, or anything wicked chewy like an overcooked steak). They'll probably look better. And it's easier to forget they are there when they're more stable and aren't getting full of food (I get the odd little bit of food in mine, like a piece of rice or something, and give them a little rinse after certain meals, but nothing like what happened with my immediates - that was gross).

So yeah, definitely hang in there. I know how hard it is, but it will be worth it in the end.

Back