honeybee91
Well-known member
- Joined
- Sep 19, 2022
- Messages
- 106
- Location
- 86401
I just wanted to share a little success story so anyone who is nervous about getting fillings can refer to this and hopefully it’s helpful!
I need 4 cavities filled, and two days ago I had 2 composite resin fillings done on teeth 2 and 31. I was anxious not knowing what to expect and after my name was called the dental assistant read my blood pressure and gave me the nasty numbing gel to set in my mouth. ( it tastes very bitter) While I sat there slowly being numbed I tried to count my breaths and think happy thoughts! It helped because by the time the hygienist came in 5 minutes later to give me the shots I was calmer. She told me the injection of the liquid would burn and it did but very slightly, she gave me my bottom shot first then once she gave me the top shot and I didn’t feel a thing! Once she was finished she told me she would go get the dentist. I sat back and waited 15 minutes and once my dentist came in I was fully numbed. He examined the two teeth before pulling out the drill and the assistant had the hose. I closed my eyes and tried to relax because I was feeling anxious again for sure. I kept expecting to feel pain but of course I didn’t! He started drilling and it sounded like a high pitch squeal, the noise was loud but I only felt vibrations. While he worked he chatted with me about his weekend fun and I began to relax again. Ten minutes later he stands up and says he needs to let my jaw take a break ( I had the bite block but my jaw was definitely feeling sore still) and him and the assistant left the room. I sat back letting my jaw rest and looking at the clock. Ten minutes later they return and I swear the bottom tooth took 5 minutes! The assistant had me do the bite test and the dentist filed the filings down and then he said the magic words “ok you’re all done!” He sat me back up and said if the fillings weren’t right to come back in the next day or two. Then that was it!! I scheduled my last two fillings for April and I can happily say I won’t fear going back! I’m proud of myself for doing it despite my anxiety. It definitely helps if you have a nice dentist! My dentist is a very nice person and I think he’s the best dentist I’ve ever had. I hope this can help someone.
I need 4 cavities filled, and two days ago I had 2 composite resin fillings done on teeth 2 and 31. I was anxious not knowing what to expect and after my name was called the dental assistant read my blood pressure and gave me the nasty numbing gel to set in my mouth. ( it tastes very bitter) While I sat there slowly being numbed I tried to count my breaths and think happy thoughts! It helped because by the time the hygienist came in 5 minutes later to give me the shots I was calmer. She told me the injection of the liquid would burn and it did but very slightly, she gave me my bottom shot first then once she gave me the top shot and I didn’t feel a thing! Once she was finished she told me she would go get the dentist. I sat back and waited 15 minutes and once my dentist came in I was fully numbed. He examined the two teeth before pulling out the drill and the assistant had the hose. I closed my eyes and tried to relax because I was feeling anxious again for sure. I kept expecting to feel pain but of course I didn’t! He started drilling and it sounded like a high pitch squeal, the noise was loud but I only felt vibrations. While he worked he chatted with me about his weekend fun and I began to relax again. Ten minutes later he stands up and says he needs to let my jaw take a break ( I had the bite block but my jaw was definitely feeling sore still) and him and the assistant left the room. I sat back letting my jaw rest and looking at the clock. Ten minutes later they return and I swear the bottom tooth took 5 minutes! The assistant had me do the bite test and the dentist filed the filings down and then he said the magic words “ok you’re all done!” He sat me back up and said if the fillings weren’t right to come back in the next day or two. Then that was it!! I scheduled my last two fillings for April and I can happily say I won’t fear going back! I’m proud of myself for doing it despite my anxiety. It definitely helps if you have a nice dentist! My dentist is a very nice person and I think he’s the best dentist I’ve ever had. I hope this can help someone.
Last edited: