• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

48 hours after root canal and tooth extraction - wake up with extremely dry mouth, terrified

J

JackieSpenser

48 hours after root canal and tooth extraction - wake up with extremely dry mouth, terrified

Hi there,

Well, on Wednesday, I had one wisdom tooth extracted (it was awful, needed to go), the tooth next to it a root canal, and the tooth next to it also extracted. My teeth are a mess. I am a mixture of crowns, healthy teeth and missing teeth (due to illness). I'm going to need implants and crowns for all my molars, it's that bad.

I have dental fear and, now, dry socket fear like everyone in the world. I'm sleeping up, I'm drinking water, I'm living on apple sauce and I'm absolutely starving.

The pain is semi-manageable but I was told it's day 3 and 4 that is the "danger zone" which will be this weekend.

Here is my question....I wake up with my mouth dry. That's a new thing to me! It terrifies me because the internet says not to let your mouth get dry.

And I can't see the hole where my wisdom tooth was so have no idea how it's healing. I'm not bleeding so I guess that's a good sign. But I'm afraid to gargle with salt water. What if it dislodges the fragile blood clot?

How do you get through this? It's really doing a number on my head. I hate too extraction.

I guess I'm just a big old baby, lol.

Help? Any advice from those who have been there? Please and thank you!

Re: 48 hours after root canal and tooth extraction - wake up with extremely dry mouth, terrified

Hi Jackie,

the main symptom of dry socket is excruciating pain that can hardly be handled by painkillers. The good thing is that a dentist can treat dry socket easily and offer you instant relief from that. So if the pain gets to a non-managable level, don't hesitate and see a dentist to have it looked at.

I wouldn't worry about your mouth being dry in the morning, that's a normal, the body is dehydrated after having rested for several hours.

Rinsing with salt water carefully is recommended and will help you to heal, simply be careful not to spit our with force.

Here is a link about healing from the FAQ-section, if you haven't read it yet. It might offer you some further advices or information to ease your mind: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/

All the best wishes, may you recover quickly and smoothly:clover:

Back