• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

5 teeth being pulled tomorrow...

H

Holliee

I finally got the courage to go to the dentist for the first time in a while two weeks ago, was absolutely terrified going into it and could feel myself panicking despite it only being an initial NHS consultation.

After poking, prodding and some xrays he decided I needed 5 teeth pulling and and booked me in for all 5 on the same day and allowed me a 30 minute appointment time for it.. at the end I said 'Well that wasnt so bad' to which he replied 'Not this time...'. Great!

I've been beside myself with anxiety about it to the point where I went to my doctor seeking diazepam for the fear and he was fine to pescribe proving my dentist agreed. Called the dental office - 'No we wont do any procedure under any type of sedation due to you not being able to consent' Great!

So my appointment is tomorrow and I cant think straight. Totally on edge and so worried about it all - I've had a tooth pulled 10 years ago. I'm still alive and dont remember it being too bad, but I remember not coping well immediately after. Very faint etc.

Has anyone experienced having so many teeth pulled at once? One of which is barely even there above the gumline.. I know I need these gone and he wont proceed to the fillings I need until its tackled. But I'm starting to feel like i cant do it.

I started taking diazapam a while back (as my appointments started getting more involved) its the smallest amount+it wouldn't stop you consenting to anything. Not sure why he'd say that,prob too short notice but is there anyway of changing dentist?

It was a while ago, but I had 10 out at once (baby teeth) and then four out in a second session (adult teeth) when I was a wee bit older, for orthodontic reasons. My teeth are huge and were going to come in all crowded and crowded without the extractions to "make space". I can remember refusing to get out of the car and crying before going in, but actually, it was fine, and my memory of beforehand and being scared is far, far more powerful than my memory of the extractions, or of the recovery.

I'd make sure you eat something beforehand, both to stop you feeling faint, and because you might not feel like eating straight afterwards, and also promise yourself a treat for later as a reward for getting through it. If the dentist has scheduled 30 minutes for the work, it's because he or she thinks it will be straightforward, which is great news. I definitely would not take any sort of sedative without the dentist's approval.

Good luck!

is there anyway of changing dentist?

Ditto - he doesn’t sound like a great choice for someone who is even slightly apprehensive :( ( <- understatement). Is there any chance you can have a look at reviews for other practices in your area who accept NHS patients? You didn’t mention whether you’re in a lot of pain currently, or whether you’ve got some time to make a decision.

Holliee,

I know you are not asking about whether to get the procedure done or not but I would feel very uncomfortable if I was in your shoes. Dentistry, as any other medical field has a lot to do with trust. You should be confident that your dentist will look after you and respect your needs. You should also get the information you need to understand and make a decision about treatment your dentist suggests. If you feel you need any sedation to cope with the treatment, your dentist should be willing to have a chat with you about this and help you to find ways to get the treatment.

So putting it together, I agree with above and can only encourage you to find a dentist you feel comfortable with. If you are in pain and need a treatment, then there might be a solution that doesn't involve 5 teeth being removed.

All the best wishes

I had baby teeth removed when I was seven and eight and not due to decay, was due to making room for my adult teeth (and I have an overcrowding problem) I don't know how many I had removed when I was 7 as I was put to sleep.

The year after I had a few pulled over two sessions all my sessions were done in dental hospital.

One adult tooth was done in the dental practice I attended but by a different dentist who worked there at the time.

So...

I went in despite not wanting to, cried in the waiting room and the dentist was 45 minutes late calling me in which really didnt help.

I go in and he says he'll take out the two on the right and fill a few. Well that was never the plan before? But okay.

Tell him I'm really nervous and he seemed to acknowledge this but says nothing - gets out the huge needle and I tell him I'm very worried about the injections. He sighs at me and steps back...literally saying nothing. I had to tell him it was okay and he could start.

Starts numbing my right side, and I'm twitching so much. Its sharp which I expected but it's the feeling of the needle in my gums moving around which is making me squirm. He steps back again - big sigh and says 'I'm not going to be able to treat you today - I have a lot of experience giving injections. You're numb I know you're numb I cant do anything else'

I got really shocked as I thought I'd been pretty brave by my standards and told him I wasnt really prepared to leave after getting the courage up to come in. He said hed continue providing I would sit still.

The next few injections I didnt move a muscle despite being really nervous and not enjoying it. He proceeded to pull the two teeth which, to be honest, didnt hurt a bit. One broke and needed lots of bit of kit to get it out but I was just focusing on getting out of there.

Gets the teeth out 'That's all for today, make an appointment at the desk for fillings'...I already have an appointment for that for the 4th which he made me last time.. dental assistant hands me extra gauze and a bit of paper and I leave. No aftercare tips from him, no formal explanation. I was out within about 20 minutes. I waited 45 minutes for him not to do what he had said.

I'm very upset about it all and felt like I wasnt treated how I should've been given how I felt about it all. Not once did he reassure me it wouldn't hurt etc. He just treated me like I was being silly and was condescending.

How do I go about switching dentist? I have paid for my treatment plan on the NHS with this dentist. Am I going to have to repay another dental practice?

Oh and I looked up reviews of this guy...seems like hes got a habit of being like this.

So...

I went in despite not wanting to, cried in the waiting room and the dentist was 45 minutes late calling me in which really didnt help.

I go in and he says he'll take out the two on the right and fill a few. Well that was never the plan before? But okay.

Tell him I'm really nervous and he seemed to acknowledge this but says nothing - gets out the huge needle and I tell him I'm very worried about the injections. He sighs at me and steps back...literally saying nothing. I had to tell him it was okay and he could start.

Starts numbing my right side, and I'm twitching so much. Its sharp which I expected but it's the feeling of the needle in my gums moving around which is making me squirm. He steps back again - big sigh and says 'I'm not going to be able to treat you today - I have a lot of experience giving injections. You're numb I know you're numb I cant do anything else'

I got really shocked as I thought I'd been pretty brave by my standards and told him I wasnt really prepared to leave after getting the courage up to come in. He said hed continue providing I would sit still.

The next few injections I didnt move a muscle despite being really nervous and not enjoying it. He proceeded to pull the two teeth which, to be honest, didnt hurt a bit. One broke and needed lots of bit of kit to get it out but I was just focusing on getting out of there.

Gets the teeth out 'That's all for today, make an appointment at the desk for fillings'...I already have an appointment for that for the 4th which he made me last time.. dental assistant hands me extra gauze and a bit of paper and I leave. No aftercare tips from him, no formal explanation. I was out within about 20 minutes. I waited 45 minutes for him not to do what he had said.

I'm very upset about it all and felt like I wasnt treated how I should've been given how I felt about it all. Not once did he reassure me it wouldn't hurt etc. He just treated me like I was being silly and was condescending.

How do I go about switching dentist? I have paid for my treatment plan on the NHS with this dentist. Am I going to have to repay another dental practice?

Oh and I looked up reviews of this guy...seems like hes got a habit of being like this.
So sad to hear you had a bad experience. I think after that first sigh I would have asked him what the problem seems to be and would have told him how does he know it’s numb only the patience whines getting the needle would know that then I probably would have left. Good for you in enduring it all and taking action to find a more compassionate dentist. Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery ?

Hollie, first off you are so incredibly brave for stepping up to do this in the first place but to go through what you did with this very condescending rude behavior from. This dentist. I'm just saddened to hear of how you were treated. And wished you could go to a dentist thats is more compassionate and patient w anxious patients. Their lack of compassion and help for you is I think personally a huge red flag. I don't know much about by a but I wish you could find someone who will treat you kindly. I hope for speedy and good healing as well

Holiee sorry to read this. I have just switched NHS dentists and like you I paid for some treatment that I never got around to having. I told the practice I did not want to continue and said to the receptionist that I had paid a deposit for the hygienist. She said we can refund your money. So that was my experience. I am not sure if all practices do this but this one certainly did. I have been too busy to go in and get my refund so I think I will have to get it done over the phone. I have a new appointment with a different practice that a friend told me she goes to and I am actually looking forward to it. I have been religiously paying attention to my oral hygiene brushing as a previous hygienist told me to and flossing so I hope that between now and next week when I see the new dentist, he will say that my oral hygiene is not too bad. I did put up a video about how to clean teeth and have watched a few other ones but I do not think you can generalise on things like hygiene. All the tips and tricks on these videos show the models with perfectly straight teeth. I have slightly crooked teeth and so my procedure is different. For instance, the last hygienist told me that floss was not suitable for the type of teeth I have and that I should use interdental bushes. I tried them and could not get on with them so I have reverted back to floss. I will discuss this with the new dentist. Good luck

Back