• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

9 Extractions, SRP and bone grafting - under IV sedation

R

Razvan

Hello all.
I would like to start by saying that this forum helped me alot in dealing with the procedure that i just had yesterday (about 10 hours ago it was over). Here i was able to find people which seem to have most of the fears that i had and reading thier stories really convinced me to go thorough and have the surgery. A big thank to all of you! In hopes that maybe someone reading this post might find some strenght or confort, this is my story:
I am a 30 years old male which is very scared of doctors ingeneral and dentists even more, who neglated his teeth for a lot of years due to fear and and ignnorance but mostly fear. Also i drank a lot of cola and i was a havy smoker. As anyone can imagine i needed a lot of work to be done when i finnaly worked up the courage to visit a dentist. After i found the best medical clinic, the nice doctors there explained to me what was needed to be done and we decided that the best solution is to have in this first surgery 9 extractions(4 wisdom and 5 more) which were in a really bad shape, SRP and LASER treatment and some bone addition for 2 of the extracted teeth. Later i will have to go and get some implants for some of these extractions. Yesterday was the big day and boy was i scared. To be more specific for the past 3 months i wasnt able to have one good night of sleep or even one single day whithout thinking about this day and what would happen. I remember that while waiting for the surgery to start i has even afraid that i might not even wake up from the sedation, or that the sedation will not work at all and i will wake up screaming in payne.
I was very very wrong. Everythink was great. I barely even felt the iv going in and it almost didnt bothered me at all (and i almost faint every time i have to get blood analysis). After the iv went in i remember that i had a small conversation with the doctor about what was in the iv and before i knew it i was out. I woke 3 and a half hours later and the doctors surprised me by saying that it was all over. I couldnt belive my eyes. I was i no payne ay all and not even swollen at all. It took about 30 minutes to fully wake up from the iv and be able to go home. It's been almost 11 hours since then and i feel great. Of course i took some payne killers that the doctor prescribed and i will have to take some antibiotics. But still i can believe it is over.
I havent felt this happy in such a long time and i really feel like i started a new life.
Once again thank you for sharing your experinces and hoping that my story also helps others I wilk keep you posted as time passes and try to answer any questions one might have!

Hello!! I have to have my 4 wisdom teeth and 5 molars removed ?! I'm so terrified of the entire thing that I haven't scheduled the appointment. I'm afraid I will feel pain but not be able to say anything, or I'll die on the table! I've never had surgery before so being sedated at an orthodontist office scares me! They didn't say anything to me about lazer anything, or bone grafting. They said they want to get the 9 teeth out and then we will talk. I don't have the money for inplants so that's not an option for me, probably a partial. I turn 30 in January and I'm so ashamed I'm losing 9 teeth already. You did ease my worries a little, but I'm still terrified. Any advice you have I would love to hear it! Glad to hear everything went well for you!! Take care!

Hello all.
I would like to start by saying that this forum helped me alot in dealing with the procedure that i just had yesterday (about 10 hours ago it was over). Here i was able to find people which seem to have most of the fears that i had and reading thier stories really convinced me to go thorough and have the surgery. A big thank to all of you! In hopes that maybe someone reading this post might find some strenght or confort, this is my story:
I am a 30 years old male which is very scared of doctors ingeneral and dentists even more, who neglated his teeth for a lot of years due to fear and and ignnorance but mostly fear. Also i drank a lot of cola and i was a havy smoker. As anyone can imagine i needed a lot of work to be done when i finnaly worked up the courage to visit a dentist. After i found the best medical clinic, the nice doctors there explained to me what was needed to be done and we decided that the best solution is to have in this first surgery 9 extractions(4 wisdom and 5 more) which were in a really bad shape, SRP and LASER treatment and some bone addition for 2 of the extracted teeth. Later i will have to go and get some implants for some of these extractions. Yesterday was the big day and boy was i scared. To be more specific for the past 3 months i wasnt able to have one good night of sleep or even one single day whithout thinking about this day and what would happen. I remember that while waiting for the surgery to start i has even afraid that i might not even wake up from the sedation, or that the sedation will not work at all and i will wake up screaming in payne.
I was very very wrong. Everythink was great. I barely even felt the iv going in and it almost didnt bothered me at all (and i almost faint every time i have to get blood analysis). After the iv went in i remember that i had a small conversation with the doctor about what was in the iv and before i knew it i was out. I woke 3 and a half hours later and the doctors surprised me by saying that it was all over. I couldnt belive my eyes. I was i no payne ay all and not even swollen at all. It took about 30 minutes to fully wake up from the iv and be able to go home. It's been almost 11 hours since then and i feel great. Of course i took some payne killers that the doctor prescribed and i will have to take some antibiotics. But still i can believe it is over.
I havent felt this happy in such a long time and i really feel like i started a new life.
Once again thank you for sharing your experinces and hoping that my story also helps others I wilk keep you posted as time passes and try to answer any questions one might have!

Hi, thank you for writing about your experiences at the dentist. It is so encouraging to read some of the stories from other members and particularly, for me, I read all I could about iv sedation as that was what I had to have twice in 3 weeks, and I was absolutely terrified! But, as we both found out, it was really nothing at all as we thought it would be. The worst part really is the thought of it and our imaginations really can run wild!
I'm really happy for you that you have had the treatment you needed and that you have been able to see it as a positive experience-Congratulations!! You were so courageous!!???

Hello!! I have to have my 4 wisdom teeth and 5 molars removed ?! I'm so terrified of the entire thing that I haven't scheduled the appointment. I'm afraid I will feel pain but not be able to say anything, or I'll die on the table! I've never had surgery before so being sedated at an orthodontist office scares me! They didn't say anything to me about lazer anything, or bone grafting. They said they want to get the 9 teeth out and then we will talk. I don't have the money for inplants so that's not an option for me, probably a partial. I turn 30 in January and I'm so ashamed I'm losing 9 teeth already. You did ease my worries a little, but I'm still terrified. Any advice you have I would love to hear it! Glad to hear everything went well for you!! Take care!

Hi Ashley!

First of all, let me tell you that you are not alone in feeling so afraid-its perfectly understandable to feel the way you feel! Secondly, you are being so SO brave to be
this aprehensive about the procedure but still have the feeling that you want to go through with it.
Ashley, if you do make the appointment, you will have quite a lot of dental work done and also, IV sedation is a scary thought for a lot of people but it is definately something you can get through without too many problems. Having teeth out is a big deal for us as patients, but it's really an everyday occurrence for dentists, no big deal ?. Also, most teeth come out pretty easily, even the complicated extractions are not really that complicated from what my dentist tells me. And IV sedation-it's simply amazing! Please don't worry about having it, you won't believe it until you've had it but it's nothing to lose sleep over-truly?. I have written a journal here about my procedures in the last 7 months and I include my IV sedation experiences so maybe read that and all the other posts about the subject to get more information and to have reassurance. I know how much this forum helped me and gave me courage to go forward and honestly, I'm so glad that I did. I have a pretty smile now, and I'm no longer terrified of the dentist because of IV sedation.
If you have any questions please ask, I know exactly how you feel believe me and I'm glad to help ?.
But above all, don't worry! It really is a waste of time especially since you're having sedation ?

Last edited:
Hello Ashley,
Believe me that i totally get what you're fealing. I also never had surgery before. Maybe this is part of the reason we are so afraid. I also was very afraid of the iv not working and beeing in alot of pain and unable to say anythink. The fact is that this is really not possible as you will be monitored full time by a professional whose job is to make sure you are comfortable. And if any pain might appear they will know it before you feal it and act accordingly. Simply put if you're not confortable enough they can increase the amont of substance going through the iv or simply put in a different/more suited for you substance. These people realy know how to make you feal comfortable and pain free. What really gave me strenght to go through with it was finding the right doctors and reading every thing i could find about the procedures. I even watched some videos of similar procedures( that actualy scared me and i don't encourage you to do - it really looks worse than it feals). I also was convinced that if i don't do it, things will only get worse.
To conclude i am convinced that you will also have a positive experience as i and many others on this forum had and i wish you all the best luck. Also i think it's worth letting you know that all resources that i found on iv sedation state that 10 out of 10 pacients have a very positive experience and most have one similar to the one i had( everything being over before you know it and actulay not feeling anythink). And as an added bonus you will also feal very proud and relieved after. It will all be worth it. Once again good luck and just do it!

Great! Congratulations.

Back